Night #6

Night Rain

Night #6

"You can tell us anything, Kisame. We won't hold anything against you." Sho spoke gently, lowering his cup of hot water. He stared at Kisame, who met his eyes.

Kisame was speechless.

Amaya smiled and nodded her head in agreement. "That's right! Daddy and I want to hear what you want to say! But if you don't want to say it yet, that's okay! We can wait!"

"...but I want to..." The blue skinned boy said quietly.

Hearing just that, Amaya nodded her head. "Okay, then!" She stared at Kisame eagerly, waiting for him to spill the beans.

Kisame exhaled deeply, trying to calm his mind. He had made the decision to tell them. But was it the right choice? Why did he find it so hard to tell them?

Did they grow on me...? Kisame growled to himself mentally. In just a short time, too...

Sho and Amaya exchanged glances. Amaya's eyes landed on Kisame again. He hadn't spoken for a while. Amaya tilted her head slightly to the side, trying to think of what Kisame was going to say. She had no idea, but she had a hunch that it might be hard for him to talk about. Her father did say there were some topics that Kisame didn't want to touch. Maybe this was one of them?

After contemplating a thought, Amaya opened her mouth, "Amaya means 'night rain'."

Kisame looked up in surprise. He didn't expect her to start talking. Was she getting bored of waiting for him already?

Night rain...? Kisame raised his brow.

Sho waited patiently for his daughter to continue. He knew where the conversation was headed. He felt a gentle and sudden twinge in his chest but ignored it. He closed his eyes and exhaled deeply.

Knowing that she had successfully caught Kisame's attention, she continued, "Amaya was a name that my mommy gave me. Daddy told me that mommy really liked that name...and that I was born at night, when it was raining."

Kisame just sat there, listening. How ironic...

"Mommy's in the sky. She's always watching us." Amaya gave Kisame a small but sad smile. She missed her mother and wanted to know her; but that was impossible.

Sho pressed his lips together into a thin line. He could still remember the day vividly in his mind. His wife had lost too much blood during the childbirth and wasn't able to make it. He exhaled yet again.

"...I don't have a mother like you do." Kisame spoke quietly, a small frown on his features. He felt a little annoyed that she was making the situation seem lighter than it actually was – which it wasn't.

Amaya blinked once, her eyes on the boy. She then blinked again, not sure if she heard right. She raised a brow in confusion, "But Kisame, everyone has a mommy. Some are just not here, like mine." She pointed to herself with her small fingers. Pausing for a brief second, she then set her hand down to her lap, "Is your mommy like my mommy, too?"

The blue boy's small dark eyes widened and his gaze shifted elsewhere, thinning.

Amaya sat quietly. The atmosphere seemed to have darkened and he didn't look great.

Is Kisame ok...?

"...yeah." His voice was small. He clenched his hands into fists. "She's dead."

"...I'm sorry, Kisame..." The Mizushima duo spoke quietly. They had downcast expressions.

"Why are you sorry?" Kisame knitted his brows together. "I didn't even know her. I was put in an orphanage since I was young."