Night #3

Amaya sighed deeply in relief. She thought back to when they were playing the game with the other kids, but this time, Kisame had joined. Of course, the other kids weren't too happy with the supposed 'shark' playing with them in fears of their own lives, but as they started the game, they became at ease.

"It's great that Kisame agreed to play." Sho, Amaya's father, smiled and stirred the mixture in the pot.

"I'm happy that he started playing with us!" She grinned widely and skipped to where her father stood, trying to peer into the cooking pot. "Daddy, what are you making?"

"You'll find out after I finish!" Sho ruffled his daughter's hair and continued.

It was silent for a moment; Amaya had an idea. She glanced to her side to see the door before turning back to her guardian. "Daddy, let's invite Kisame to eat with us!" She grinned widely.

"Eh?" Sho's expression showed surprise. He smiled and nodded in agreement. "Alright. Do you want to get him? Make sure to be nice and don't force him." He reminded her.

"Yes!" Amaya was out the door in an instant. She went down the steps and shivered as the night air surrounded her body. Shaking her head, she ran to Kisame's home and knocked loudly on the front door. His house was only a seconds' sprint away from her own.

The floorboards in her new friend's house creaked and the door opened, revealing Kisame. His expression held nothing short of astonishment.

"What are you doing here?" He didn't bother to greet her.

"Have you had dinner yet, Kisame?" Amaya asked quickly. She grinned at him.

The blue haired male saw how cold she was; he could see the Goosebumps on her skin.

His stomach rumbled involuntarily, causing the blue skinned male to look away in embarrassment.

Amaya laughed, "I don't think you've eaten yet! Do you want to come over to eat with us?" She suggested.

The boy stared at her for a long moment, contemplating the idea. He didn't have much in his house but he'd already given in once to the girl. He didn't like the idea of being in debt to others.

But would playing a game with everyone be considered a debt...? Or maybe...

Kisame shook his head to rid himself of these thoughts. He saw the look of hope in his neighbour's eyes and sighed deeply. "Fine." He succumbed.

After hearing that word, Amaya leaped up into the air with a loud "YAY!" Kisame stared at her as if she was crazy, before seeing that people that passed by were staring with confused expressions.

"Don't be so loud!" Kisame hushed her.

"Oh! Sorry, sorry!" She whispered.

"Not that quiet. Talk normally." He shook his head. "I'll be right back." He turned to grab his keys and locked the door.

Whilst taking the short walk to Amaya's home, Kisame noticed the huge smile on her face. "What are you so happy for?" He knew her to be a girl that did things spontaneously and smiled whenever she could. But the reasons - he didn't know.

Glancing up to meet his dark eyes, she just grinned wider. "It's because you're coming to eat with us!"

Amaya opened the door to her home, bringing the both of them inside.

Kisame raised his eyebrow slightly and stared at her back as she went to take off her shoes.

I don't get how small things such as that make you happy.

"Kisame, does it suit your tastes?" Sho asked kindly, smiling. The 3 of them were seated around the table and enjoying their meal.

The boy looked up to the adult and nodded his head a few times. He wasn't expressive, but Sho knew what he meant.

"That's a relief! If you want some more, there's a lot left." The father nodded his head and continued eating.

He watched with slight amusement as Amaya gave him some slices of bread to go with the chunky soup, saying that it was his to eat. Kisame was quite hesitant, but he took it in the end. Sho could see Amaya's eyes brighten up as she conversed with her newly found friend.

Kisame liked the food. It was delicious. He hadn't had something this warm and hearty in a while. He glanced up at the two who had welcomed him. They were smiling and enjoying the food. The atmosphere was inviting and comfortable. It made him feel weird in his chest.

What the hell is this...? He thought.

"Thanks for coming over! It was great having you here." Sho smiled and ruffled Kisame's hair after he finished putting on his shoes.

The boy just stared up at him with wide eyes, shocked. It wasn't the first time that Sho did that, but the second time. It made him wonder if that was what it was like to have a father.

Amaya grinned at Kisame's stoned expression and tapped her shoes against the group so that she was more comfortable in them. "Alright, we're good to go!"

"Make sure to stay safe! Goodnight, Kisame." Sho smiled and opened the door for them.

"Goodnight..." Kisame mumbled quietly, following Amaya out.

Once they reached the male's house, Kisame unlocked the door to go back in. Amaya had bid him goodbye with the same huge smile she had on before. She had also asked him if he was going to play with them again tomorrow, and come eat with her family at night as well.

"Why do you keep inviting me to things?" Kisame quizzed bluntly, stopping before he went in.

"Huh?" Amaya blinked a couple of times. "Didn't I already say it before? I want to be your friend." She added, "I also like being with you. It's fun."

Kisame was silent. He didn't know what to say. Indeed, she did say that she definitely wanted to be his friend.

She's still sticking to her words. How long will this last?

Kisame gave her a small nod, "Goodnight."

"So you'll play and come tomorrow?" Amaya made him stop after one step. She sounded hopeful.

"Maybe." He answered her.

In reality, he wanted to say yes. He enjoyed their company and the atmosphere that they brought with them. But because he had his pride, he didn't want to admit it. Plus, he wasn't good at any of this. He didn't know how to respond to her invitations other than saying 'no'. It embarrassed him to even say 'fine'.

He closed the door behind him, but he did hear her cheer loudly from the other side.

"Idiot. Not so loud..." Kisame sighed.

There she goes again...

Her cheer had echoed on the walls of the empty house. It reminded him that no one was waiting for him to come home. An image of Sho and Amaya flashed into his mind and he stared at the ground.

'Make sure you stay safe!'

Kisame took his shoes off and stared at the dark corridor. It was cold and too clean. He clenched his sharp teeth together before standing.

Of course it's empty.

His feet padded lightly against the ground as he entered his immaculate room. The first thing he saw was his own cracked reflection. A kunai was lodged at the top of the mirror and made cracks throughout it, distorting whatever it reflected.

Kisame imagined blood dripping off the kunai and onto the floor.

"Tch."

Again, he thought bitterly.