Chapter 14

Rockstar looked up to see the full moon beginning to rise.
Will the other clans even be at the Gathering?

It had been half a moon since the apprentices assessments. Rockstar sighed wondering whether to go. So far no new warriors had fallen ill but he was still cautious. Would the other clans even go?

"Archpelt ran toward the lake and see if you can spot any clans heading to the Gathering," Rockstar ordered.

The black and white Tom grunted taking off towards the lake. Rockstar half hoped the Gathering wouldn't happen. His clan was hungrier then they had been in any leaf-bare and everyone was tired.

Archpelt returned suddenly panting. "I saw Thunderclan heading there,"

Sighing Rockstar nodded. "Round up Cinderblaze, Fernpaw, Nettlewhiskers, Firetail, Snowhawk, Whitewing and the apprentices. You can come too,"

Archpelt nodded taking off.
Daisypetal will have to stay in the camp. Just in case. The Elders should stay here too. They seem the most prone to getting the sickness.

Rockstar began to head off with the cats he had chosen. They made good time crossing into the Gathering Island. Rockstar headed towards the tree and climbed onto his branch for the first time.

The first thing he noticed was how skinny all the other clans looked. Shadowclan looked stronger next to them. He felt shocked. He could see the other clans glancing at his own clan with envy.

Rainstar joined him, the Riverclan leader's usually sleek blue gray tabby fur was unusually dull. Drizzlestar jumped up next her gray tabby fur also rather dull.

Rockstar expected to see Vinestar join them next but to his surprise the deputy Springflower joined them instead her pretty red fur also dull.

"Where is Vinestar?" Drizzlestar asked.

"Dead," Springflower replied sadly. "I'm Springstar now,"

"Is Redstar dead too?" Rainstar asked.

Rockstar nodded in answer.

"Let the Gathering begin!" Rockstar called.

Every cat faced him. He stepped back letting Rainstar go first.
Will he mention that Starclan has called one of his warriors away?

"Riverclan like every other clan has been affected by the Great Sickness that ravages us. We have lost cats just like you all have. But we will get through this," Rainstar rasped.

The old Riverclan leader sounded defeated. Drizzlestar stepped forward next. "Thunderclan has been deciding on strategies to defeat this Great Sickness. Our warriors has strong and they are still hunting and patrolling. We will show no mercy to anyone if they invade our territory especially now. I am not accusing anyone,"
No you're just trying to make your clan seem strong. But anyone can see how tired they are.

Springstar stepped forward next. "Vinestar has joined Starclan. Windclan's new deputy is Larkecho and I am it's leader,"

Every cat was silent. Rockstar smelt fear scent. He stepped forward on his branch facing the clans unsure of what to say.

"Redstar has also joined Starclan," he began. "Snowhawk is our new deputy,"

He could see they wanted to know why his clan looked better fed and stronger then them.
Why not tell them?

"We have set up a quarantine zone. Any cat who has even coughed a little will go to a den we have set up outside the camp. We have kept the sick away from the healthy and right now Shadowclan has no sick cats," Rockstar announced.

He could see the amazement and shock on the faces of the other clans. He swallowed and continued. "But we still await the warriors Starclan has sent to find a cure. I know every clan has warriors who have been sent away. Starclan have sent Mousewing and Stormfire,"

A snort came from a black and white Windclan cat with blue eyes who Rockstar knew to be Runningtail. "Starclan sent a half kittypet?!"

Every hair on Rockstar's pelt stood on end.
One more word and I'll shred you!

Every cat looked at him expectantly waiting for him to reveal the Mother of his first born kit. Rockstar wouldn't, couldn't answer. Suddenly clouds covered the moon.

"Starclan are angry at Runningtail!" Someone cried.

"Starclan have spoken," Springstar meowed. "This Gathering is over,"

Jumping down from the tree Rockstar made the call. "Let's go Shadowclan,"

His clan followed him.