Chapter 6

Rockstar watched his new deputy organise the patrols. Everything felt different now. Every cat looked more hopeful now that they had began to counter the deadly sickness that plagued all the clans.

Rockstar left his den and headed into the nursery. Skykit ran to meet him looking scared. "Sageheart was coughing!"

Fear surged through him. He glanced at his mate he looked perfectly healthy.

"Skykit I sneezed. And it was only because of that feather you kits held under my nose," Sageheart explained to the light gray she-kit.

Rockstar's whiskers twitched. Sageheart looked worried suddenly. "Kits go find Addersky. Ask him to tell you a story,"

"Why?" Ashkit asked.

"Because I said so," Sageheart responded.

The four kits left the nursery and went looking for Addersky.

"What's wrong?" Rockstar asked.

"Well it's just...," Sageheart looked at her paws. "Is it okay for us to be mates?"

Rockstar blinked in surprise. "Of course! Sageheart why wouldn't it be?"

"Stormfire hates me because we are together! Haven't you seen the way she looks at me? When she comes back it'll be the same," Sageheart whimpered.

It because she feels I'm replacing Silverstripe. Rockstar realised.

"I think it's because she never knew her real Mother," Rockstar meowed.

"Who is her Mother?" Sageheart asked.

"It's all in the past," Rockstar answered. "This is my life now. With you,"

Rockstar pressed his muzzle to Sageheart's. The speckled gray queen returned the gesture with a purr.
This is my life now, but I will always remember the time I had together with Snowdust and Silverstripe.