Erik was the guy I kissed on the last day of school.

I sighed and shook my head, looking down on my way to the main office to pick up my class schedule. Thankfully though, Erik never looked up once, and when he did the door to the office was already closing, taking him from my view. There was a rather large line, one that didn't have Julie so she must have came earlier than everyone else.

When I had finally gotten to the front of the line and told the lady at the desk my name, Cheryl gave me my schedule and told me we had the same combination as last year with a smile. One friendly smile down, six hundred more to go (like I said, small town).

When I shoved my way out of the office that had gotten more crowded, I looked down at my schedule, hoping I had a free period because I finished all the English classes the school required to graduate. And maybe for art. The art teacher here is really awesome.

I almost did my happy dance when I had exactly what I wished for. My free period was fourth, so I could just leave earlier than most students, and art was my third period. Hallelujah.

Spirits were brought down when I saw my first period was Martin for Math. I felt my shoulders sag and my smile drop. Seeing that man everyday, in the morning when I was still trying to fight off the sleep as he was yelling in my face with that god awful breath of his? . . . Lovely.

Please, I hope you got the sarcasm I said with that.

I looked up when I saw my locker was near, but what had my smile back on my face was when I saw Dezrae, one of my closest friends, waving and grinning at me. Two smiles, five-hundred and ninety-nine to go . . . .

"Dezrae!" I yelled when she came running at me, arms open wide. I caught her, thankfully, when she jumped in my arms. It seemed she still wanted more hugging-time when I let one arm fall because I needed to get to my locker and stuff my things in there. I decided I would carry her the rest of the distance to my locker and if she still didn't let go by then, I would let her go all together. It wasn't like she would hurt herself at five-foot-nine and I at six-foot.

Fortunately, she got the hint when we reached my locker. I opened my locker, combination glued in my memory from last year. The small academy I was in was kind enough to put the books in the lockers of their students (the school was divided in to five groups of students, making the student population look even smaller).

"I'm so sorry," Dezrae said immediately when I closed my locker after grudgingly grabbing my math book.

I furrowed my brows. "About what?" I asked, concern etched in my voice at how serious she was. I began asking myself, Did any family members die this summer?

When I came up with no one, I gave her the same look I gave her before, and she returned it with this Are you stupid? look. "Erik and Jasmine started dating during the summer," she stated hesitantly.

I bit my lip. I hadn't known at all. I was completely anti-social-media this summer. Nothing. There must have been pictures that hinted they were dating, or maybe relationship statuses that said they were but the only socializing I did was with my family.

Just then, Erik turned the corner of the corridor, and instantly our eyes met. That's when I remembered Erik's locker was the one across mine. This was a one story building, full of lockers and no classrooms, so I knew for fact that he was only here to pick up a book.

Ten eternities later, he finally pulled his eyes from mine and turned a corner that led to an exit. Jeez, it couldn't get any more embarrassing.