32: Happy Birthday

~Mikayla's pov~

~Mikayla's pov~

Yesterday they had just let me off bed rest and now I could walk around the hospital when I got bored. Which was exactly what I was doing, but not really walking considering I was in crutches—more like lugging—, but lets say it's a walk to make it easier.

Tomorrow was my birthday and I couldn't wait for two reasons. It was my eighteenth birthday and it was the day I would get released from here.

My morning was very boring seeing as how nobody was there to keep me company, so I had grabbed the book Jacob had left and turned to the page where I had stopped reading, which was at the last one hundred pages or so. Admittedly, I cried when I finished it, but that was just it, I finished it and that was my one source of entertainment. That leading up to my wandering around the halls. It was now eight at night.

I discovered things from the bore of the walk. Like how there was eight rooms in one side of the wall before the wall would end and come into an intersection. The whole third through fifth floor of the hospital was dedicated to maternity and babies. I learned who worked here was nice and who was not, the lady on my floor being one of the not-nice people.

"Oomph," escaped when I bumped into someone as I turned the corner.

I heard a gasp and then saw a flash of red hair.

"Mikayla."

I looked up from watching as my feet steadied me from falling backward because it was so easy to lose balance in these contraptions.

It was Kate, curling her hair behind her ear as she stared at the injuries clear on my face. It was hard not to stare, because of the paleness of my skin and the red and purple and blue on my face, and they practically screamed for attention.

"Hi," I greeted.

"Hi -- oh my god, you won't believe how worried the school is about you. They even had assembly about you."

I felt like grimacing. Assembly? The knowledge of people sharing my personal life -- whether they already knew it not -- with others didn't sit well with me.

I smiled and hopped a little when I felt the coldness in my arms, meaning there wasn't enough blood flow because of my arms supporting my weight on the uncomfortable parts of the crutches. "Yeah, I figured when I read the get well cards." I laughed. "What are you doing here?"

A sense of smugness past along her features. "Oh you didn't know? Jacob broke his arm when he was skateboarding."

I was offended at the tone she was using, like she was proud that she knew of my boyfriend's situations before I did. Much like a stalker of an ex-girlfriend really.

"Oh, is he in here?" I asked, pointing to the floor, intending the hospital.

"Yeah, room 334A," she responded with the smile still on her face. "It's weird though, he never really took much interest in the board in his room."