Meeting The Parents

"______, are you you sure you're new boyfriend is really as great as you say he is?" Your little brother says as he stores the freshly baked bread into the wooden woven basket. Your mother rushes to where the spaghetti was finishing up its bake in the oven.

Your father taps the daily paper up against the dark wood kitchen table. Your entire family was awaiting the arrival of your three year boyfriend and just recently, fiancée Marshall. He proposed to you on October 17th, his birthday whilst at his dinner. It was in front of all his colleagues and friends so it was ten times as special.

"Yeah, I hope he's not a complete douche." Your younger bracefaced, pimply teenage  sister scoffed over her Snapchat. Adela was always giving her unwanted opinion on something, even if it was negative.

"Addie, language around your little brothers." Your mother warns as she lifts the jumbo sized package of freshly baked spaghetti. You could not help yourself. You licked your lips at the sweet smelling Italian food. The twists of parchment colored noodles were covered by a messy but delicious realm of sanguine, meat spiked sauce. You adored spaghetti loads.

"They're twelve, Mom. They know what a "douche" is." She said, motioning toward the twin brothers, the last members of your family. They are identical but one was named Caiden and the other Sage.

"No we don't." Sage protested as he poked Addie in the thin arm. She pushed Sage back swiftly and now the "fight" was on. You laugh heartily over how fast Adela was willing to pick an altercation with a person four years younger than her. You had your own house about an hour away so it was a rare treat when you came to see your big but beautiful and loving family.

Your mother walks away from where the spaghetti sat on the granite island over to where the table was facing the giant window facing the newly cut evergreen lawn. She drags Sage away from Adela quickly as Caiden sets the bread basket in the table's center.

👑         👑          👑         👑

The doorbell rings airily just as the final toss is made to the accompanying salad. Your mother rushes to set the large bowl on the island with the rest of the main meal's set. You rush over as the casual yet stylishness of your magenta skirt flows around your thighs.

You see Marshall's adorable face and fine baby blue irises as you open up the screen door after the stocky chartreuse one. You embrace him with heavy arms and hug him dearly.

"What's up, baby?" He greets as he steps through into the room. This is the first time your whole family is meeting so Adela and the twins walk in to see him.

"Um, who are you?" Adela inquires, putting a hand on her hip.

"Marshall, ____'s fiancée. How about you?" He says as he turns the conversation back on Addie. She smirks in satisfaction as the twins introduce themselves. As it turns out, Marshall brought them both paper bags containing expensive boyish gifts after you told him what they liked on a date.

Adela leaned in close to you after Marshall and the boys get called in to eat dinner with your parents.

"You earned a keeper." She said softly in your ear as you shove her.

"You're only sixteen, what do you think a keeper is?"

"Someone that loves you." She said, walking down the foyer leading to the kitchen.

"How do you know he loves me?" You say laughing.

"It's just the way he looks at you." Adela says before you go to sit down.

And since that day, you looked at Marshall differently...

\ for taylorangelique for this lit idea\