Combat {Part Two}

You wake up almost three mines later. The fire is extremely heavy and your leg feels unattached to your body. You screech in agony as Mathers picks you up and runs you back to another safe area.

" (YLN), are you alright, soldier!" He yelled as he was running extremely quickly to the spot. Your incoherent speech is proof you are not okay. You see an enemy soldier headed for you behind. You're scared. He's got an AK in his tinted hands.

"Hey, hey, look behind-you." You say. It's increasingly difficult because of how the shot affected your leg. It feels like your vocal cords are doused in Jello and it's falling into them, rendering you speechless.

He says nothing and keeps running as the sun shines in front of you. It's blazing your eyes as you begin to hallucinate your life. Your tenth birthday, your grandmother's funeral at age sixteen, your eighteenth birthday, your enlistment, your first car, everything hits you in several broken jumbles.

A shady flat roofed building comes into view and you're fearing for your lives, one more shot from the enemy that's still trailing and your dead. Mathers dropped his gun a long time ago.

He sets you down on the sandy cardboard floor. A wall and a few other items hides you from the door but not Mathers. He rips a piece off of his jacket and wraps it around your leg. You suddenly hate the army for the piercing screaming and agonizing chorus of gunshots. It sounded like a song from Hell, produced by Satan himself.

"Mathers, go." You manage to say through the hurt and permanent wince glued to your face because of the pain.

"No, (YLN), my duty is to make sure okay." He says and you want to smile but you cannot.

You stay there for a little bit as he continuously checks on you. Suddenly, you realize that you are not alone. You hear people yelling in a foreign language. It's time. As if it was cued, a middle aged Iraqi man burst in, shooting everything in sight.

You scream so loudly and your crying but they notice you in the corner. Mathers stands up as they attempt to shoot your face. He jumps in front of all twelve bullets, you count. His attractive face is completely disfigured with blood and ammunition. His right pupil is completely taken up by a shiny black bullet. His lip is studded with a total of three.

You are not sure what kind of people were waiting for Mathers back home but you were certain he would not be coming back to them. You want to help him more than anything. It's mind over pain but you stay in your secluded position and watch helplessly as Mathers dies.

It's heartbreaking but out of your control. Just like everything else in life...