The line-up

Mel 

It had been a couple of days since my birthday and I had finally felt good for once. I felt like the weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Time passed in the blink of an eye and before I knew it had been two months since my birthday.

The phone rang. I rolled over on to my stomach with my face in the pillow and groaned. 

"Tom," I mumbled into my pillow. "Can you get the phone?" 

"Nah I don't feel like it," he said. 

I lifted up my head and looked at him. He returned my glance with a cheesy smile. I narrowed my eyebrows. 

"Fine. I'll do it," he said.  

"Ow," I said rubbing my chest. 

"What the hell did I do?" 

"You hit me." I quickly realized what he was trying to imply. "Go get the damn phone." 

"Okay," he said like an obedient five year old and ran out of the room. 

I sat there rubbing my chest and rolled my eyes. That Tom. I laid back down and let my head hit the pillow. The ‘gifts’ that Max and Annie had gotten for me actually seemed to help. Tom and I enjoyed them more than we probably should have. As I was thinking about those gifts I felt myself being lifted off the bed. 

"No Tom. Not today," I groaned.  

He gave me a serious look. 

"Tom I don't feel good today. I'm not sleeping with you no matter how much you beg and plead." 

"That was Becky." 

My heart sank. A pain rose up in my chest. "And?" 

Tom took a deep breath and I saw his stomach expand and contract, "They want you to go down to the police station..." 

I zoned out. My heart started rapidly beating. 

I snapped back to reality... “Identify Michael in a police line up....Mel? Are you ok?" 

Toms last words where fuzzy to me. 

"I'm sorry what did you say?" 

"You need to go down to the police station to identify Michael. Somehow they managed to find him and they need you to confirm it’s him." 

Tom reached for my hand. I then looked into his eyes and started crying. 

"I'm too scared. What if he…what if…he could do something to someone I love like you." 

"Mel," he said wiping the tears away from my face with his thumb. "Nothing is going to happen to anyone." 

I nodded but still kept crying. Tom took me in his arms and gave me a big hug and we stayed like that until I stopped crying. 

"Come on get dressed," Tom said as he let go of me. "You can do this." 

Tom was hopefully right. I pulled on whatever I could find and left out the door unknowing what was going to happen.

When we got to the police station I was greeted by Becky and Bill. 

"No no no," Becky said shaking her hand and fingers at me. "He needs to stay here," she said pointing to Tom. 

I started blinking back tears. "Why?" I don’t think that I could do this without Tom could I? 

"Because its typical police stuff." 

"Please. He knows who this person is. Tom isn't going to do anything stupid are you Tom," I said and fluttered my eyelids at him. 

"Oh all right," Becky said. "What's the worst he could do?"