The Phone Call That Changed Everything

Tom

I heard Nathan get up to get the phone.

“You know you people are awful lazy,” Nathan said to us as he walked by.

I just kept looking at Mel for some reason. I don’t know why. I couldn’t tell what was going on inside my head. She just was looking at the bottom of her teacup and stirring the spoon. Then I saw her push the tea away from her and hit her head on the table.

“Ow,” she said with no enthusiasm and not picking it back up.   

 “Mel why don’t you go back upstairs and lay down in my room ok?” I said stroking her check. Her skin felt rough and old.

She didn’t say anything and did what she was told. A couple of seconds later Nathan came into the kitchen.

“It’s Michael,” he said with a worried look.

“And?”

“He wants to talk to Mel,”

“Hell No. I’m going to give this prick a piece of my mind,” I said walking over to the phone. I picked up the receiver and walked it to another room  where Mel couldn’t hear me.

“Hello,” I said.

“Your not Mel,” was the cold answer that followed. “I want to talk to my baby.”

“Well she isn’t here.” I shot back.

“Common Tom. I know she’s there.”

“No she isn’t,” I could feel my rage bubbling up.

“Tom. Put her on please. I’m telling you nothing will happen.”

“WELL IM TELLING YOU THIS MEL ISNT SEEING YOU ANYMORE BEACAUSE SHE HAS DECIED THAT SHE RATHER BE WITH ME,” I slammed the phone down. Oh shit Parker I thought to myself what have you done now.

Meanwhile Mel

I honestly had no energy to get up the stairs. I had to have Max carry me up half of it. He dropped me at the top.

“You know,” he started. “The boys and I-” 

“ARE FUCKING HERE FOR YOU?” I said cutting him off. “I FUCKING KNOW MAX I FUCKING KNOW. DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY TIMES I HEAR THAT EVERY TIME I COME OVER HERE? WHEN ARE YOU AND THE OTHER SHITHEADS IN THIS HOUSE GOING TO REALIZE THAT I DON’T NEED YOUR HELP!” I stopped. “Oh Max,” I said pausing. “I am so sorry.” I started to cry.

“It’s okay love. You’ve just had a rough past few hours ok?” Max said hugging me and wiping my tears away. “Why don’t you come here and sleep in my bed because everyone knows it’s better than Tom’s in the fact that I actually change my sheets. Also, I haven’t had any women in it this week. You’ll be the first.”

I sat down on his bed. I tried to laugh but I couldn’t.

“Do you want me to sit with you for a while?”

I nodded.

I leaned my head on his shoulder and quickly feel asleep.  

Max

After I realized that she had fallen asleep I gently put her on the bed and covered her. I got up and slowly closed the door. Soon afterword Tom came running up the stairs all out of breath.

“Mate,” he said, still trying to catch his breath. “I need your help.”

“I’m not giving you advice on that subject again,” I said raising my voice.

I heard Nath and Jay from downstairs laughing. Tom gave me a stern look at pushed me into his room.

“Not that subject,” he said gritting his teeth. “I need to talk to you about something else,” he said closing the door.

“Shoot,” I said smiling my famous smile.

Tom took a couple of deep breaths before he talked. “I think I like Melanie,” he said.

“Of course you do mate,” I said smiling.

“No. Let me rephrase that,” he paused again and scratched his head. “I think I Love her.”

I fell silent. “Well,” I said a bit puzzled myself. “How long has this been…how long you have liked her for?”

“Since the day she was born. I never told her and the day we adopted her I figured that I could never tell her because it would be really creepy if you know what I mean. Then when Michael just called I told him she had left him to be with me.”

“Wait,” I said confused. “Don’t you two have the same last name? I always assumed you did?”

“No because when we adopted her all we changed was the guardianship. My parents put their names under the guardian section. She kept her name. None of her friends even know that she knows me, you, Siva, Nath, and Jay. Except for Annie.”

“Well that’s ok then mate it’s not illegal or anything I guess.”

“It’s the concept of the thing though Max. It would be weird.”

We where just about to go into more detail when we heard Melanie screaming.