Twenty Three

The Story of Us

Twenty Three

          Before I knew it, semester exams were taken, and winter break was here. Time just wouldn’t slow down.

          Not much had happened over the past couple of months. Nick and I went on handfuls of dates, and even Sky snagged herself a guy, Peter Jones.

          Caleb visited home every so often, but we seemed to avoid each other, only passing small smiles and hellos when necessary.

          Nick and I cuddled up on a couch in the Saunders’ living room, where there yearly Christmas party was being held. I cradled a mug of hot chocolate in my hands, taking small sips of it.

          Everyone chattered on how excited they were for the holidays. Since sixth grade they had always been the same. Presents and breakfast at my house and dinner over at the Saunders’. Usually I was overly excited for Christmas, it was my favorite time of the year, but now I felt indifferent about it.

          Mrs. Saunders scurried over to the window, checking to see if a familiar ford mustang had arrived yet.

          Caleb was supposed to be here half an hour ago, and his mom was going off the walls with worry.

          Sky came and sat down next to me and Nick. “I wish Peter didn’t have to leave to Virginia to spend Christmas with his dad. Then we could do all the cute couple things like you two get to do.” Sky pouted pushing out her bottom lip.

          “He’s going to be back for New Year’s right?” I asked. She nodded her head. “But I wanted to kiss him under the mistletoe.” Sky told. I couldn’t help but let out a little laugh.

          The sound of an engine brought Mrs. Saunders back to the window. “My baby boy is home!” She chirped clapping her hands together.

          I felt my breath grow hollow. I straightened my sweater, and resettled myself next to Nick.

          I heard the front door swing open. I tuned my body to see two suit cases being pushed to the side.     

          Two? Why would Caleb need two suit cases?

          Caleb enters the room, his finger intertwined with someone who is standing behind him. He smile broadens as he pulls the person next to him, wrapping his arm around her waist.

          Everyone turns their heads, and grow silent watching the couple. I can hear thoughts whirl around in my mind as I stare at the girl, whose arm is possessively around Caleb’s shoulders.   

          This girl is drop dead gorgeous. Every man in the room is gazing at her. Even Nick. She has to be 5’8, but with her 3 inch heels it’s hard to tell. She had the right amount of curves; it put the rest of us girls in the room to shame. She also had long brown curly hair, which I wish I could have accused of being a wig.

          My hands begun to shake as Caleb’s eyes locked with mine. Sky placed her hand on my shoulder, as if she was trying to prepare me for the words that were about to come off of Caleb’s perfect lips.

          “This is my girlfriend, Sam.”