Chapter 23: Lauren and Landon

Start from the beginning

Lauren stayed hidden behind a building until she knew that Emileigh was not coming back. Knowing how fast Emileigh was, Lauren took a peek before exposing herself again. She was relieved when she realized that Emileigh was nowhere in sight.

Before she took off, she took her phone out. About forty-five minutes had passed. She looked at her phone and she saw that there was a voicemail. It's probably from Aunt Emileigh, she thought. She then replaced the phone in her pocket, after she turned it off.

The cheek was still burning a little, but she didn't even bother to look at a reflection of herself. She already felt the hand I,print that her mother had left. The more she thought back at the moment, she couldn't figure out what she did wrong. She couldn't figure out what it was that made her mother so angry. Was it solely the fact that I helped my blind friend out? she thought.

Either way, it had been wrong for her mom to slap her. Especially since Lauren had done nothing wrong.

Lauren took a deep breath, and after making sure that the coast was clear, she took off again. At first, when she ran out, there was no inkling of an idea of where she would go. But after running for a while, her head was clear. Her destination would be the park. Her little secret place, the one where she had learned Landon's story.

She checked both sides of the street before crossing. She knew she didn't have much time before Emileigh was back. So she ran as fast as she could. It took Lauren a few minutes to get to the entrance of the park. And it took her a while longer to get to the secret place.

She was wearing a medium sized sweater which didn't really feel to heavy for her. The day was cool, the sun was out but there was a small breeze that made it a little cold. She found the same exact spot where Landon had lied down the last time and sat there, hugging her knees to her chest.

Then after her knees were tucked in, Lauren hung her head and rested it on her knees. She couldn't help but remember what had happened earlier. She couldn't believe it still. she couldn't believe that the woman she had seen earlier was her mother. Tears began flowing in a steady stream down her cheek. There was nothing she could do to stop them.

Slowly, she let herself lie down on the grass. It was fresh on her skin. As she laid on the grass, she felt the power of the grass heal her cheek, and warm up her heart.

The last time I was here, it was with Landon, she thought.

'The first time here, it was with Landon, too.' her heart told her.

That was different, heart. I hadn't known he was here.

'That's true but don't you find it intriguing that you two were here at the same time and place, without knowing it. Maybe it was a sign.'

Lauren sighed. There you go again with the "it's a sign" thing again.

'I only tell the truth, Lauren. You know this already.'

Well, I guess I do. Can you tell me why my mom acted that way.

'Sweetie, all I can do is explain what you've done, why you did it. Your mom is another topic altogether.'

I don't understand. Why the sudden change? Why is it that she changed her views so quickly? She was the one who taught us to respect other people, regardless of anything else.

'Maybe it was because she's seeing that she's losing another child to something else. Landon's blind and that scares her.'

But that's doesn't give her a right to insult him like that. And you know it. You're the one who gave me the courage to react to what I did.