Prologue Part 1

A tall hooded man in a long black robe stood at the top of an empty bell tower. The room looked as if it had hurriedly been thrown together to only give the appearance of an office, but nothing more. The walls were splintering and full of holes where boards had been negelectfully placed, allowing shafts of moonlight to fill the room. The only other things in the office were a tall chair behind a roomy desk that had a small lit candle on it, the flame dancing in the breeze.

The tall man sighed as he looked out the broken window; he was watching waves crash against a sheer cliff. He heard creaks in rhythm of someone walking up stairs, announcing their arrival. The door opened where another hooded member entered the room, however, he was much shorter in stature and his hood was down. He had a long gray beard with thinning hair on his head. "Chancellor, I have some news."

“Well then, don't keep me waiting, Ormal.”

“My observers stumbled upon a most curious individual in the kingdom of Ulthar. One of the royal dwarflings appears to be... an Apotheo.”

“Apotheo?" He said turning away from the window. "This can't be... The conditions haven't been right for an Apotheo for thousands of years. There hasn't ever been an Apotheo that was a dwarf either. Why now? Are you sure this information is correct?”

“Chancellor, my observers would not dare give me false information.” Ormal answered, a serious yet worried look on his face.

A shocked look crossed the Chancellor's face and he slumped with a notable thud into the chair behind the desk. He put his hand to his chin, "This... This does not bode well then Ormal, as I am sure you are aware. An Apotheo only appears in the most dire of situations. Yet, I am not aware of any sort of situation, are you?"

"No Chancellor, I am not."

"This is very peculiar indeed, my old friend. I must think on this for some time." The Chancellor's hand had moved to his forehead by this point, his face studying his desk. "But, let me ask you once more before you leave Ormal: are you certain this dwarf is an Apotheo?"

"One of our greatest allies in the kingdom of Ulthar gave me this information, Chancellor," Olmar began.

"Who was it exactly?"

Olmar continued, " One of my oldest friends, and one of our oldest allies, Pyvor. He said that when he met this dwarf, the Apotheo, there was an incredible warmth that emanated from him, almost like some sort of pure goodness, which was forced upon Pyvor. He said that it was almost as if it was directed totally at him, when the young dwarf only but glanced at our friend. Others did not seem to be affected by it, but Pyvor was. Pyvor guessed, and I agree, that this was likely due to his strong connection to the elements. This is similar to other recorded encounters with Apotheos in the past. I made sure to double and triple check that before I came here with that information Chancellor. So yes, I am certain." That serious, yet worried, look never left Ormal's face.

"This may be an even more peculiar situation than all others before us then, Ormal. No other Age has necessitated an Apotheo that was a dwarf. Leave me Ormal and return tomorrow with the other members of the Council. We must discuss what our action, or inaction, may be regarding this Apotheo."

"Yes, Chancellor." Ormal said bowing, then he promptly turned and made his way down the stairs, the rhythm of his steps following him.

The Chancellor sighed heavily and laid his head back on his chair staring upwards through the hole-filled roof at the stars. What do the gods have planned for us now? He thought. More importantly, which god made these plans for us this time? Animo? Solu? Somno? Peria?