Chapter 21: The Battle of Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

“Got himself killed,” Ron said. “Got what was coming to him.”

Emma glared at Ron, and then turned to Harry.

“So you only have one left to go,” Emma said. “Nagini, his snake.”

“How are we supposed to get close enough to kill that thing?” asked Ron.

“You can't,” said Emma. “I can. But you have to make sure that you will be able to kill Voldemort shortly after.”

“We have nothing to kill her with anyway,” Harry said.

“What happened to the sword?” asked Emma.

“We gave it to a goblin in exchange for Hufflepuff’s cup.”

“What goblin?” asked Draco.

“What's it to you?” Ron demanded.

“Ron, calm down,” said Hermione. “They're trying to help us.”

“There was a goblin that was killed at my home. His name was Griphook. He… he had a sword with him. I went to pick it up when the Dark Lord left, but it had disappeared.”

“Griphook is dead?” asked Harry. “He had the sword.”

“It’s a long silver sword, ruby in the end?” asked Draco.

“Yes,” said Hermione. “That was the sword.”

“It presents itself to those who need it,” said Harry. “So when we really need it, it will appear.”

“I hope so,” Ron muttered.

“We have to go,” Emma said quietly to Draco.

Emma looked at Harry, Ron and Hermione. She looked at Harry again and their eyes locked.

“You know what you have to do,” she said.

Harry nodded.

Emma took Draco by the hand and they began running together.

“The fighting is going on now,” Emma said as they ran. “We have to keep out of towers and in interior corridors. The castle is under full attack.”

He and Emma made it to the top of the rotating staircases and began down them when she heard screaming from the corridor outside of the great hall.

“They’ve broken through,” Emma said. She drew her wand as she stepped off the stairs.

“Do we really have to fight?” asked Draco.

Emma turned to him. There was something so troubled in his eyes.

“I tried to curse Harry but I just couldn’t do it,” Draco said.  “I can't hurt people, Emma. It’s not as easy as it seems. I used to tease people, I used to be so mean, I—I mean, I even made Neville break his arm when we were in our first year—but I can't use magic to hurt people. I just can't.”

“I know,” she said softly. “I’ve seen you try to curse people before. I’ve seen how you struggle to harm people.”

“Ever since—”

There was a sudden sound behind them, and Emma wheeled around to see her father, who had just Apparated.

“Meet me in the boathouse in fifteen minutes,” he said.

“Of course,” said Emma.

Snape Disapparated again and left Emma and Draco standing there. The front doors suddenly burst open with a resounding crash.