Labor Of Love [A Pregnancy Story] [1]

I am in love with the most radiant, beautiful, intelligent girl in school.

She has soft, delightfully full lips and dark, flowing hair that always smelled of fresh strawberries. Her skin is smooth and silky, and to touch it sent electric chills through my fingers. Her eyes, golden yellow, always sparkle with happiness and seem to smile at anyone they saw. And her smile is perhaps the cherry on top. She never seemed to have a care in the world and if anything went wrong, she took it gracefully with a smile. Her smile is so sexy, and damn near impossible to not be contagious.

And I love her.

And she doesn't know it.

And she's pregnant.

* * * * *

If anyone had asked me a year ago what I thought and knew of Miranda Bear, I would have said that she is smart, pretty, and valedictorian of WNC High. If anyone were to ask me today what I thought of Miranda Bear, I wouldn't even be able to encompass her being with just mere words. She is completely indescribable and the most word savvy people on earth could not even do her justice.

My former thoughts of her began to change after a flyer party at Matt Boucher's place one weekend...

"Hey Kai!" calls Jake Saunders from a few feet away, his arm slung over Marsha Singleton, motioning with a beer in his other hand for me to come over. "Duuuude, is this party fucking great or what?!" he yells, bobbing his head to the blaring music, not expecting any kind of answer. "Fuck maaan, why aren't you drinking? You need some beer or vodka or some shit in your system!"

The song changes, "Oooh Jake! This is my song!" Marsha yells as she holds up her hands, one occupied with a red plastic cup, and begins to dance. "I'm going to go dance with Holly!" she announces.

"Whaaat?!" yells Jake, but Marsha is already gone with nothing but a short wave goodbye. Jake soon is over her. "What the fuck ever man." He takes a swig from his beer and smiles. "Ready to get plastered Kai!?"

"I'm the DD! Remember!?" I yell over the music. "Nothing for me tonight unless you don't want to see tomorrow!"

"Double D's? Who the fuck're you mackin' on!?" Jake slurs, before noticing Rachel Hemmings behind me, forgetting all intentions of hearing an answer. "Gotta go sow some oats maan." He pats me on the back and passes me in a beeline direction for Rachel. "You understaaand."

Sowing oats is what the males at my school call getting laid before it actually happens. Blame our sixth grade exposure to Eddie Murphy in 'Coming to America' for that.

I look around the house and realize how stupid it is to drink with ambitions of a drunken state of mind. Girls doing things that they otherwise wouldn't, guys acting stupid for attention, people already passed out on furniture and staircases, and most of all the nasty hangover without any recollection of the night that caused the terrible feeling. No thanks, I'll pass any day.

I walk out back to where the music isn't as loud and where possibilities of vomit hitting me decreases. I go over to the pool to sit down with some of the stoners, a small bonfire going on next to them as they talk amongst themselves.

The person to my right offers me the doobie being passed around, but I just take it, lean over the empty chair on my left, and pass it on to the next person. Even though I don't have anything against people who do drugs, that doesn't mean that I do them. Too much bad shit in my life associated with drugs; I refuse to add to it.

Right after retreating my hand from passing on the drugs, Sierra Bear comes up next to me. "'Sup Kai?" she says with an upward nod as she sits in the empty spot.