Chapter 10

The Faisons gathered a day's-worth of meals and readied the pinto. Jon had just enough time to throw on a deep green tunic over a rich green shirt and light grey pants before Mr. Faison sent him riding away to tell the Orchard of the Master's arrival. The father allowed his daughters more dressing time while Merida and Hiccup helped him load the donkey for the trip.

At first, it seemed like Mr. Faison wasn't going to allow them to come.

"Those assassins would only follow your trail to the Orchard," Mr. Faison insisted.

"They could follow yours just as easily," Merida cut in as Ria and Sandra came out of the house.

Ria mounted the pinto and reached down to receive Sandra from her father. She was careful not to damage the floating lantern Sandra carried, the one they had hoped to release with their mother.

"I don't want you endangering the lives of my children," he growled.

"A dragon offers great protection," Hiccup pointed out.

Mr. Faison raised his voice. "That is my final word on the matter! Now, go home!"

Merida and Hiccup stared at him in silence. He straightened his dark blue jacket and turned away, grabbing the horse's lead. Before he had taken a few steps, Hiccup said, "We can't."

Mr. Faison halted and looked over his shoulder. "We don't know where our home is from here," explained Hiccup.

Ever so slightly, the father's face softened amidst the bright yellow curls. "What maps I have in the house don't extend very far, but the maps I have at the Orchard do. In return for your dragon protection, you can look at those maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The troop arrived at the Orchard with the workhands expecting them. Unfortunately, Jon hadn't properly warned the staff about Toothless. Everyone grabbed for the nearest sharp item when they spotted the dragon. However, Mr. Faison calmed everyone down and explained how the vagabonds were friends (or at least allies) and would soon be on their way. He handed off the horse to a worker before leading his daughters into the Main House.

The Orchard was a large patch of clear land in the middle of the vast woods. It had a river running through the middle of it with two expansive orchard fields, one on either side, with rows upon rows of trees heavily laden with fruit. The two-story Main House, accompanied by a smaller storage house, was situated on this side of the river. A bridge crossing the river led to several bunker houses with another storage house on the far side.

After his daughters were safely out of the way, Mr. Faison ordered his lead workhand to have the workers arm themselves with what could be found in the storage houses and then report to the main hall in the House. The workers situated themselves at their battle stations. One worker would pass weapons to another worker standing in the doorway of the storage hut who would pass it to a third worker who was waiting in line. The workers' rhythm was interrupted when Merida jumped in line for weapons of her own. Before the worker could question her, she grabbed the two sheathed swords he was holding and left.

"Here ya go." She tossed one of the swords to Hiccup. He slowly pulled the broadsword part way out of its case. Merida eagerly yanked her sword out and tossed the sheath aside. "Well," she whispered in awe as she swung her weapon in graceful arcs, "isn't this a wee barry trinket."

"Easy, Merida," Hiccup warned, as he pulled his own sword the rest of the way out. "You don't want to hurt anyone."

"Ach, awa' wi' ye. Still, it's true I'm not used to this shorter blade."