Chapter 9~ Protective

John's P.O.V

I didn't have the best of sleeps last night- my mind to pre-occupied with the latest news I had found out- but I still managed to get up at my usual time. Mrs Hudson, being the kind woman that she is, came upstairs to cook breakfast for Sherlock, Teddy and I. Sherlock got up a few minutes later looking better than he did last night, taking a seat at the table with a yawn. He didn't look at me, instead opening the newspaper and beginning to read. In my mind I let out a small sigh of relief. For now, he didn't suspect a thing.

As Mrs Hudson set a plate of food in front of me the sound of footsteps reached my ears.

"Morning everyone," Teddy says with a yawn, ruffling her hair with one hand while the other held a small jar of nutella and a teaspoon.

"Morning, " Mrs Hudson and I reply. Sherlock grunts in response but doesn't look up.

"Mycroft's here, by the way," she tells us, sitting down opposite Sherlock. Her bruised cheek looks worse then it did last night but she doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Mycroft, in a full suit with his umbrella, walks into the room and comes to stand behind Teddy who is beginning to eat her nutella. Mrs Hudson comes back into the room, holding a plate of hot food that she puts in front of Teddy, taking away her teaspoon and nutella.

"Why are you taking my nutella?" Teddy complains, looking up at Mrs Hudson with wide eyes.

"Nutella by itself is not a real breakfast, dear. You put it on toast or sandwiches," she says.

"That makes it taste not that good, though," Teddy replies.

"Eat your breakfast," Mrs Hudson says simply, walking back into the kitchen. Teddy frowns slightly, looking mournfully at her nutella, but then picks up her knife and fork and begins cutting into her food with a shrug. Mycroft looks down at his sister with a small smile then at his brother. The smile disappears, being replaced with a grim look on his face. Sherlock looks up at his older brother then back at the newspaper.

"The photographs are perfectly safe," he says.

"In the hands of a fugitive sex worker," Mycroft answers. Teddy makes a small disgruntled noise but doesn't say anything, continuing to eat. I can't help but watch her as I eat my own food, trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. Sherlock seems too busy with reading his newspaper and answering Mycroft to notice me.

"She's not interested in blackmail. She wants... protection for some reason. I take it you've stood down the police investigation into the shooting at her house?"

"How can we do anything while she has the photographs? Our hands are tied," Mycroft says with a frown.

"She'd applaud your choice of words," Sherlock says, making Teddy giggle and the corner of my lips twitch up into a small smile at the sound. "You see how this works; that camera phone is her 'get out of jail free' card. You have to leave her alone. Treat her like royalty, Mycroft."

"Though, not the way she treats royalty," I say, turning to smile at Mycroft sarcastically. He returns the smile without humor while Teddy giggles again with a grin. I look at her, feeling my insides tingle with nerves and happiness, just as a female sigh- an orgasmic female sigh- sounds. I frown. Teddy looks around, looking confused.

"What was that?" I ask.

"I swear that wasn't me," Teddy says quickly. Sherlock rolls his eyes.

"Text," he says.

"But what was that noise?"

Sherlock ignores my question, standing and walking away from the table to get his phone. I watch him carefully, wondering what- or who- made that sound.