Chapter 24: Gotchu

Start from the beginning

I would have continued my analysis on everything that had occurred the last 24 hours, however, the feeling of something gripping firmly around my ankles made my previously dropping eyes shoot open in a panic.

My body goes into full on fish out of water mode as I attempt, and fail, at shaking whatever had me in its grasp loose.

I'm surprised I haven't screamed bloody murder yet. Heaven knows I can do that real well.

I look down to see what has me trapped and clearly make out two sun-kissed hands effortlessly wrapped around my ankles. Not a second later, a squinty eyed Dinah slides her way from underneath my bed and I have half a mind to stomp on her face.

If I didn't value my life, I would have done just that.

"Where have you been, child?" Dinah asks in a rather low, serious tone that is, truthfully, terrifying coming from her.

"W-What?" I manage to get out in my state of both evident confusion and slight outrage that she was just chilling under my bed like nothing.

Of course, what would life be like without the incessant torture from both twiddle dee and twiddle dum. 

With perfect timing, my closet doors fling open dramatically, revealing Phoenix holding a flashlight to his chest, pointed directly underneath his chin to illuminate his face and cast a shadow of his head behind him.

"I believe she said. Where. Have. You. Been. Child?" His voice was also audibly lower and gruffer than usual.

Again. Terrifying.

"Hold up. Have the two of you been hiding in my room since I came in ooorrr- Oww!"

I'm rudely interrupted by the blinding light of the flashlight hitting me square in the face. Both Dee and Phee take this opportunity to jump on my bed, squishing me in between their bodies.

I blink rapidly trying to regain my sense of vision so I can properly yell at these two nitwits, when suddenly I hear- or better yet feel- Dinah take a good whiff of my hair, nuzzling her nose a bit at my temple.

"You've been with a woman haven't you?" She proclaims more so than inquires, pulling back with her chin in the air and her still squinted gaze fixed on me. I turn to Phoenix in hopes that he was being a little more reasonable, only to find him in the same exact position as her.

I'm surrounded by idiots.

"Yes... with my woman." Apparently that wasn't the response they were looking for because neither of them put an end to their scrutinizing stares.

I clarify unnecessarily, "I was with Lauren, you half baked creampuffs!" followed by a loud sigh and a hard roll of my eyes.

They lean over to make direct eye contact with one another and with sneaky little smirks, let out a,"Mmhhhmmm!"

"You know what,? I am NOT dealing with this-" before I could scramble to feet fast enough to escape, they pull me back down by the arms.

"Oh, relax grumpy pants, we're just messing with you. Lauren called us first thing this morning to let us know that you were safe and sound at her place, after you gave Dinah and I several heart attacks throughout the night."

I couldn't help but slump my shoulders in shame that I worried them so much. I assumed my absence would go unnoticed so I didn't even think to tell them where I was going.

"But, you're here now and you're safe, so that's all that matters." Phoenix ends, pressing a loving kiss to my forehead and pulling me into his arms, to which I instantly melt into. The feeling of Dinah's head resting comfortably on my upper back as her arms wrap around my body and rest on Phoenix's ribcage, engulfs me in my own little sanctuary.