Chapter 9: Capture

{Lauren POV}

I woke up to the sound of steady breathing that wasn't my own. I clenched my eyes tight in fear... until I realized where the sound was coming from. I silently laugh, taking the phone from its place, snug between my ear and the pillow.

10 hours.

Wow, we actually fell asleep on the phone. I shake my head in amusement.

Never have I sacrificed the little amount of sleep I get to stay up just to talk on the phone, even when it comes to Ally. Speaking of who, I really needed to return one of her messages. Come to think of it, I haven't called her back once these past few days...

Jesus, I suck.

"You do not suck. You're actually quite lovely if you ask me"

The groggy voice startles me, making me realize that I've been talking out loud. It takes me a minute to process what she says, but when I do, I feel the blush already creeping up on me.

"Cameeeellllaa" muffling my whine by putting a pillow over my head in an attempt to hide the fact that she's got me all flustered so early in the morning.

"Yes, Beautiful?" I can almost hear that stupid little smirk of hers.

"Too. Early." I say grumpily.

Who gave her the right ?!

"Too early for what?" She finally lets out the laugh I know she had been attempting to stifle.

"You know what."

"Nope. Enlighten me, babe."

"Your little sweet talking, that's what. Give me a break."

"Can I ask you something?" Her voice suddenly becomes rather serious, which alarms me a bit. I never know what to expect from this girl though.

"Ask away."

"Do you believe any of the things I say?"

The question catches me off guard. "Of course. I would never question the things you tell me about your life and-"

"No... I mean the things I say about you."

I struggle to formulate an answer. I wanna say "No! Of course not. Why would I?" But I don't, cause as much as I want to believe that she doesn't mean what she says, I can't fully bring myself to do so. So instead I stay silent.

"Lauren? You still there?" She says after a moment.

"... Yea"

"I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable"

For the first time, I heard an unfamiliar tone from the girl. Rather than her usual confident, sure-of-herself attitude, she sounded small and uncertain.

"No... No, you didn't. It's just- I'm just- I've nev-"

"You don't need to explain. I understand. Sometimes I have to learn to keep certain questions to myself, huh?" She says with a nervous laugh.

"Camila, no. I-I'm sorry, I'm just... weird... when it comes to those kinda things. I didn't mean to make you feel any kind of way by that, really."

"Ok."

"...OK?"

What the hell is that suppose to mean?

"Yes ma'am. Just promise me that if I ever do or say anything to make you feel uncomfortable or weirded out, you'll let me know, please? That's the last thing I would ever want to do."