Chapter 1

"When a guy and a girl confessed to each other does that make them official?"

Mayumi squirted her drink out of her mouth. Fortunately, no one got wet by her drink(mixed her saliva, ew). She stared at you with wide eyes.

"Ew, Mayumi, that's disgusting," you said cringing.

"Whose fault do you think it is?!" she pointed at you accusingly with a scowl. "Really, (your name), asking random questions like that?"

"Fine, sorry," you replied but your tone made it clear that you weren't. "Just give me your thoughts,"

"Fine, but I'll ask you later why you suddenly asked that question, okay?"

You hesitated for a moment, but still decided to comply with her condition. She's one of your few real friends; she has the right to know. "Okay, okay, I'll tell you later."

"No, it doesn't work that way," she deadpanned.

"It doesn't?" you couldn't believe your ears. If it doesn't work that way... then what do you call the thing between you and Mayuzumi?

"Of course, they have to agree first you know. Just because a guy kissed you, it doesn't mean that he really loves you." she explained. "Don't be so naïve,"

"Oh,"

"It is very important to be clear about labels or else guys will find away to just leave you hanging without any explanation." she added.

"You sound bitter, are you speaking from experience?" you teased her hoping that the distraction would help you pull yourself together first before having the inevitable talk.

"Yes--I mean no! I am not speaking from experience!" she replied as she crossed her arms with a defiant look on her face.

"I'll pretend it's not obvious that you're lying," you playfully said.

"Ha-ha," she feigned a laugh with a deadpanned look. "Okay fine, I speak from experience, so now it's your turn to spill the beans!"

You took a deep breath. Here goes nothing, "Well, there's this guy who-"

"Who was stupid enough to kiss you! Oh my gosh! I must tell him to go see an eye doctor right away!" Mayumi gasped dramatically.

"Thanks a lot," you said sarcastically. "I could say the same to whoever kissed you."

Mayumi pouted, "Okay, I'll shut up,"

"He's not stupid but yes he..." damn it! Just say it! "k-ki--"

"So who kissed you?!" Mayumi asked enthusiastically while shaking your shoulders. Oh gosh, why does Aoi need to be busy on a lunch break? No one's gonna make this overly eccentric girl calm down.

"Mayuzumi..." you whispered. Mayumi then hugged you tightly.

"Oh my! You've really grown up! I'm so proud of you!" she said as she hugged you tighter, if that was even possible. "Hurry up and make it official!"

"Mayumi!" you said almost a warning. She finally let go of you with a huge grin on her face.

"Oh my gosh, I just... I'm speechless," she said wiping non-existent tears on her eyes. "I mean, I've always been afraid no one might ever do the mistake of falling for you-- I mean er, well please forget about that, I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say."

"Yes, I get it. You're jealous--"

"Me? Jealous? As if!" she declared crossing her arms puffing her cheeks.

"Because no one had done the mistake of falling for you," you stuck your tongue out at her.

"Why you--! Who's Mayuzumi by the way?"