Chapter 18

Above is a picture of Luke and his mom...

-------
Flashback to Sunday night. 10:00 pm.

I crept out of my room because I was hungry and I couldn't go to sleep. I silently tiptoed downstairs, hoping to not wake up my mom and David. Finally, I made it down and decided to make myself a bowl of cereal, and turn on the tv. As I finished making my bowl of cereal, I walked to the living room and sat down on the sofa to watch whatever show was playing, but all of a sudden, the show stopped, and there was breaking news about something important. The news lady was standing in front of a scene that looked like a crashed plane and there were a lot of police officers and ambulances around the area. It looked terrible. The lady started to talk, and I turned the volume up a bit.

'There has been a tragic plane crash just a few miles away from the Midwest Airport; where it was supposed to land without a problem. But for unknown reasons, the plane that has come back from Washington, is in ashes.'

She kept speaking but I wasn't paying attention because the moments that had happened just two days ago, where now flooding in my mind.

Luke's mom. Her work trip. She was supposed to be home tomorrow and her plane was supposed to land tonight. No. No. No. This cannot be the plane she was on. I turned my attention back to the television.

'The rest of the information is unknown, but we'll get back to you once we investigate more. Phill, back to you."

My hands started to search for my phone, and once I found it, I dialed Luke's number.

'Ring' come on Luke, pick up.

'Ring,' the second ring went by and Luke still didn't pick up.

'Ri-'

"Hello?" I heard Luke's husky voice answer.

"L-Luke, it me, Dani."

"Hey Dani, what's up."

"Sorry I'm calling kind of late but-" I was cut off by Luke.

"Don't worry, I'm still awake, I'm just watching some tv." He said.

"Oh okay... Well um, I called to check if-" I was cut off by Luke again.

"Hold on for a sec Dani, someone's knocking on my door." He sounded alarmed.

I heard a few ruffled noises over the phone, but then I could hear Luke's front door opening. There were distinct voices coming from different people, but then I finally figured out what was happening.

The cops were at Luke's front door.

"Is Mr. Hemmings home?" -cop

"Yea, but he's sleeping right now. I'm his his son. What's going on?" -Luke

"Son, i really need to talk to your father." -Cop

"Officer, I honestly don't want to wake him up right now, what's wrong?" -Luke

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but your mother, Liz Hemmings, died in a plane accident a few hours ago."

The rest was hard to hear because I'm guessing that Luke dropped his phone. I could only hear yelling and screaming after that.

I tried calling him after a few minutes, but he didn't answer so I decided to send him a text.

To: Luke

Is everything okay?

He never texted back.

--Flash forward Friday, 8:00 am

Luke hasn't been in school this whole week. Everyone was wondering where he was, even his closest friends. I guess I was the only one who knew....

"Nice to see you in school today, Luke."  Mr. Morris said, directing his attention towards the doorway.

Everyone looked at the person standing at the doorway, and sure enough, Luke Hemmings stood there; messy blond hair and all.

He started walking towards our desks, and he finally sat down next to me, which made everyone's eyes look our way. I could hear people whispering.

"Ahem," Mr. Morris cleared his throat and got everyone's attention. "I know that some of us are a bit distracted at the moment, but right now, all you need to focus on is the 7th chapter of The Great Gatspy."

Mr. Morris kept talking but I wasn't paying attention, I was too focused on Luke. I knew him and I aren't on the best terms, but I just had to ask.

"Luke, is everything alright?"

"Don't worry about it." He muttered in an attitude.

"Fine. I was just asking." I said in defense.

"Next time don't." 

"Luke, I heard what happened over the phone. I-I'm sorry." I said looking down.

"No you're not."

"What?!" I said, a little surprised.

"Look Daniela, I honestly don't know why you care so much, so why don't you just stop alright. Stop getting into everyone's business and worry about yourself for once."

"I'm sorry if I angered you." I said and looked down at my desk.

He was right. I'm always so hung over on what everyone else does and I never worry about myself.

That's why Ashton and I have been so distant lately; I've been caring about Luke more than Ashton, my own boyfriend. I need to stop caring about Luke and stop making excuses for him because he could care less about me.

I need to make things right between Ashton and I.

Fuck Luke.

************
A/N: GUYS ITS BEEN TOO LONG IM SO SORRY FOR MAKING YOU WAIT. This chapter is shit I'm sorry. Jesus, writing a book is hard. I hope you like the update and I'm sorry for the short chapter. :)