nine days

Today the boy followed me to Starbucks.

"What's your name?" He asked, sitting down beside me with his drink.

"My first name is none of your and my last name is business." I needed with a sassy smile.

"Mines Jack," The boy said, ignoring my comment," Tell me your real name."

I shook my head.

"Well our relationship can't get any further if I don't know your name."

"Who said I wanted a relationship?" I asked, returning my gaze to my laptop screen.

He sighed and took a long sip of his drink.

"It's Amara but I prefer to be called Georgia." I said.

"Well hello, Georgia."

"Hello Jack." I said mindlessly as I focused on my computer screen. "I don't know if you can tell this, but I'm very busy."

"Ditching history?"

"Yes, actually- can you find somewhere else to ditch? This is my place." I said.

"Do you own it?" Jack asked.

"Obviously not, dumbass." I rolled my eyes.

"I've never heard you swear." He said.

"You've known me for about a day," I said, "There's a lot you don't know."

;;

I stood back and admired my curled purple hair in the mirror. I usually just pull it into a bun but I was going to Jack's house.

I pulled on some black jeans and a nirvana tee shirt before doing a little bit of makeup.

"Do you need a ride?" My mom asked sweetly as she came around the corner into my room.

"No mom," I said, "I have a drivers license." I mumbled the last part.

"Ok, have a great time at Cecilia's." My mom said. Oh yeah, I lie to my parents a lot. I always tell them I'm going to a friends house when I'm really going to get high or something. If they knew I was going to a boy's house they would freak.

I stood at the front door for a little while before I actually rung the doorbell. I heard feet padding on the inside of the house and then someone opened the door.

"Hey." He said, mouthful of pizza.

I smiled and nodded, and then stepped into the house.

"How are you?" Jack asked as we sat at his kitchen table finishing the half a pizza he had left.

"Fine," I said, "How are you?"

"Pretty good." Jack said, turning his phone on and scrolling through it for a while. I didn't want to be awkward so I did the same.

"Have you ever smoked weed?" Jack asked, out of the blue.

"All the time." I replied, not looking up from my phone.

"Do your parents know?" He asked.

"Hell no," I laughed, "They'd kill me."

He laughed, "Wanna smoke? I've been pretty stressed lately with finals coming up and everything."

"Sure." I said. Turns out Jack had a whole lot of weed in his bedroom. He grabbed some and we went out onto his back porch.

He rolled up a blunt, lit it and passed it to me. "You first." He said.

I took a long drag, while staring into the endless ocean. "I'd love to go out there," I said, meaning the ocean, "Just get swept away, never to return."

Jack made his mouth in an o shape and blew smoke rings. They floated up and faded into the dark sky.

"I can't blow smoke rings for my life." I said, taking the blunt and letting the smoke out slowly.

"I mastered it," Jack said, "My parents are always away so I spend a lot of time alone."

"Have you ever thought about killing yourself?" I asked. While we were talking about depressing stuff, I thought I'd bring it up.

"No, have you?"

"Yeah," I said plainly, "In nine days I'm going to."