Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Is she nice?"

"He... but I just met a girl too" His face scrunched up momentarily.

"Is he a butler?" I nodded my head at his question.

"Are you sure your alright?" He eyed me.

"Perfect" I tugged my wrist away, shooting him a weak smile before walking off and hurriedly retreating to the servants room. I held my breath until I finally made it in safely. I was nervous I was going to crash into the monster again.

Once I made it in I glanced at Nick who was lining up, still waiting for the food to serve his master, almost at the top of the line with just a few more behind him. I shot him a small smile before heading off to the couch I was at earlier and plopping down on it.

I glanced back in surprise when I heard small footsteps behind me. "Can I sit with you?" Evangeline's voice was quiet and with a gentle smile I nodded my head. Although she was small, by her features I could tell she was around my age.

"You never told me your name" She pointed out.

"Milania" I told her, "How long have you been a maid?" I couldn't help but ask the question, feeling slightly concerned about her.

"I- I just started... My brother kicked me out... he's a drunk." I frowned at her story.

"Who do you work for?" She looked down when I asked this.

Shit... that wasn't a good sign.

"Evangeline..."

"I work for a man called Mr. Tyrese.... he's old enough and tries to... do stuff with me"

Of fuckin course.

I pulled out my phone, dialing in a number and on the second dial he answered.

"Milania?"

"Sir- I mean Henry... are you still searching for a replacement maid?" Evangeline shot me a confused look.

"Well... yes..."

"I don't know if you are willing to buy off another man but there's a girl here.. around my age. She's owned by a man named Mr. Ty-"

"Mr. Tyrese?" Henry sounded disgusted.

"Uhm... yes"

"Is the girl a qualified maid.... like not a messer around... prostitute. I'd gladly buy her off that horrid man if she's-"

"She is... and he-"

"You don't have to tell me. I'll make a call. Give her my number"

He sounded so sure. I was surprised at how this call had gone, I really didn't expect him to accept... how did he know Mr. Tyrese?

"T-thank you sire. Will do"

"No problem... and Milania... it's Henry" The line went dead and as I glanced down to the girl her mouth was wide open.

"My past owner, Henry and his family, he's going to try to bid you off Mr. What's his face... and he'll surely get you. I promise you he's a lovely kind man and won't hurt you in anyway"

She watched me silently.... unmoving for a minute that I could have sworn she froze.

"Why would you do that...? you barely know me....." She was shocked.

"I've been in your shoes." I wasn't saying anymore.

We watched each other another few seconds before her face scrunched up. Tears formed in her eyes and a sob broke from her throat. She threw herself at me, dragging me into a bear hug. "Thank you" She whined and I sat there not knowing what to do.

Slowly I raised my hand and patted her head awkwardly. "There there?" I said confused... how do you make someone not cry

"You're not that good handling people crying" I raised my eyes to see Nick looking down at me. A soft smile appeared when his eyes landed on Evangeline, "She alright?"

"I'm great!" She sobbed as she broke the hug, rubbing her eyes but the tears didn't stop. Oh god... she was like a broken robot.. I really didn't know what to do.

"I'm happy for you Evangeline " I really hoped nothing went wrong and Henry was able to get her. Isaac would love her I'm sure.

"Oh Milania, how can I ever thank you?" She whimpered and Nick shot me a confused look.

"Long story" I waved my hand, not bothering to explain.

"Long story, short, Milania is the nicest person ever" she was slowly calming down, only a few tears trickling down her cheeks now.

"I can tell.... she's pretty amazing" He shot me a small grin and my face immediately went red. What was wrong with me tonight...?

I looked at Evangeline and Nick, smiling lightly.

I had met two people who understood my situation and helped one person. Tonight seemed like it was going to be alright if that certain person wasn't here.

The night carried on slowly.

I tried to hide in the servants room the whole time in fear and coming face to face with Mr. Firona.

We collected the starter, then brought out dinner, collected dinner, brought out dessert.

I think we had been here two hours or something when they finally finished dessert. I stood from the couch where Nick, Evangeline and I had been camping all night apart from when we had to serve people. Xander had only buzzed me twice, both times asking about Nick and how I was getting on and once about Evangeline.

I got up from the couch along with the others, heading out to collect the dessert and bring out the final thing... a fortune cookie.

I made my way out of the room and went toward Xander's table before pausing for a moment. I walked toward the table although Xander didn't appear to be in his seat.

"Where did my master go?" I asked the guy I remembered called Zeke. He glanced up at me with a small frown.

"I think the bath-"

"Oh the guy with the blonde hair... Mr. Hawke?" A man from another table asked. I turned to him, nodding my head. He seemed to think for a minute before pointing to a small staircase, "I think he went up to the balcony."

I nodded my head with a thanks, my brow furrowing.... was I seeing things? Just before I looked away from the man who had informed me on Xander's whereabouts I could have sworn I saw a smirk on his face... a mischievous look in his eyes but after all the stuff that happened tonight... I was probably seeing things.