Chapter 8

" The Council. You no longer obey orders, so you must move for the next slayer."

Buffy's jaw hangs open. " You're lying." 

I move over to my desk, and fetch out the Kill Guide. " I'm not." 

Buffy opens it, and reads the first card. " 'Angelus- Vampire. Stake through the heart, holy water, set on fire.' Oh my gosh!" She skims through the guide. " We're all in here! It goes into detail on how to kill us!"

Everyone crowds around Buffy, pulling their cards out of the stack. Gasps fill the room. Xander walks over to me, brandishing his card. "' Xander Harris- Nothing special- Human protocol?' NOTHING SPECIAL? That's just insulting.  You weren't going to carry these out, were you?" 

All eyes turn to me as the heavy question hangs in the air. I shrug, and hop off the table. " Yes, but I really didn't want to! The chip, it hurts you if you don't obey! It sends pulses through your brain. It makes your body obey. The last person who disobeyed- well- they had to scrape bits of her off the walls."

Just as I finish saying this, the door bangs open, and Spike runs in. " I heard off the streets- Is she okay? Did she-" He gasps. Then his eyes fall on the scene. Me, in a thin nightgown, head covered in a bandage, Angel's nose crusted over with blood, the Kill Guide in plain sight. 

" What's this?" Spike picks up his card. His already pale face gets paler as he reads. He looks at me, and backs off. Dad catches this, and hold up the bloody chip. Spike puts two and two together, and runs forward to give me a hug. He smells like cigarettes, whiskey, and blood. I want to bottle it up and call it "Comfort".  

When he lets me go, I'm blushing. Just then, I realize how hungry I am. " Dad, I need my health drink. Now." I say to Dad. He nods and goes out of the room. He returns a minute later, his face drawn. 

" We're out," He says solemnly, " I can see if I can get pig's for you, and we can mix it with the serum."  We both know that won't satisfy. 

I make a decision. " No, I'll go and get some fresh. I haven't hunted in a long time, anyway."  I turn to Spike. " Have you eaten tonight? I don't fancy going alone."

Spike smiles. " Let's go. I'm starving."

I turn to Angel. " You hungry? You can always come."

" No thanks."

" Alright then."

-----------------------

Spike and I walk the streets silently. He's the first to break the silence. " You look cold."

" Nah, It's not that cold." I try to lie, but the goose flesh covering my arms give me away. Spike silently takes off his long coat and wraps it around my shoulders. Nice and warm.

--------------------------

After an hour, we find no one. I'm ravenous now. " Spike, where the nearest club town?"

" 10 miles that way."

"I've got a idea...."

Five minutes later, We're soaring with ease. Well, I'm flying, Spike is dangling off my neck. Frankly, it hurts, but who cares? SPIKE HAS HIS ARMS AROUND MY NECK AND HIS FACE IS FOUR INCHES AWAY FROM MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

When we land, He puts his arm around my shoulder protectively as we walk into the club. It's not hard to find prey. I locate a cute guy named John, and Spike lassoed a small Asian goth. 

On the flight home, I swear he meant to slip so that he moved really close. I'M TALKING A INCH, PEOPLE!!!