27: MAJORLY MISSING SIGNALS (JASON)

PHOTO above - HARRY

PHOTO above - HARRY

I was talking to Jeannie and her new dude Abe. He was telling me about the gay and gay-inclusive fraternities at Ohio University and Ohio State, in case Johnny and I decided to go to either one of those schools and wanted to join one. But college seemed like something a million light years away now, like we'd probably have to attend a school on the planet Vulcan - wherever the hell that might be.

The way things were going, Ohio was quickly becoming the least likely place I figured we'd end up. And the way I felt today, I couldn't wait till senior year was done and over with and Johnny and I could move out to West Hollywood, one of the the gayest cities in the USA, where the muscle hunks and porn dudes lived and hung out, and we could live someplace where we'd actually feel we belonged.

I had the biggest smile plastered on my face, but inside I could feel myself trembling. Johnny had been right earlier in the car when I was crying. I was scared. Scared shitless. I had the most horrible feeling that something terrible was going to happen. No, it was more than that. I knew something terrible was going to happen.

I hadn't thought about that before I started all this crap to put us in the spotlight. But now that it was happening by leaps and bounds, it was beginning to worry me. I was quickly learning what can happen to people in the spotlight. I knew we were targets now. There'd been hundreds of messages, almost all of them really nice. Friendly. But there'd been a few bad ones, the haters crawling out of the woodwork. Somebody would get out of hand. No matter how clever or tough or indestructible I thought we were, somebody could top that and smash us all to pieces.

I was beginning to think I'd made a big mistake. Yet I knew I couldn't stop. Nothing could make me stop. That's just how I was. In my life, there'd always be that end zone up ahead, even if it wasn't on a football field. And I had to get the fucking ball there!

Jeannie grabbed my hand before they moved on and reached up to kiss my cheek. "Slow down on all this social media stuff you're doing," she whispered in my ear. "I know you. You like to think big and do everything so huge. But you and Johnny need peace and privacy now, not national attention."

Then she was gone and Sally Baines, our high school newspaper editor, was there in her place so fast I didn't have time to even think about what Jeannie had said.

Sally was all excited. "Wow, this is one hella event. Amazing how many people are here just from a notice on Facebook. I took some pictures and I'll write it up for the September issue of the school paper."

"Great. That's cool, Sally. The more people we bring over from the Dark Side, the better."

"The Dark Side is right. Those women picketing up there are from the Kenton United Christian Church, the biggest one in town. But united in what? Bigotry and hatred? Ignorance? Science, medicine, and psychology consider homosexuality to be normal behavior. Old time religion still thinks it knows better? How do we put a stop to that?"