The Guy Across the Street

Alec POV

He walked in looking like a kid in a toy store. All wide eyes and big smiles. He looked like he was about to start jumping off the walls. Well that is why I wanted to open a book store. I wanted to see people smile when they walked in, I wanted to let people get lost in the shelves and let their troubles melt away as they sit in front of the fire place with a book and cup of hot chocolate. The City of Idris is always just below freezing and the sun almost never shines so a book store at the end of the block is a nice way to add some color and warmth to the city.

"Hello, welcome to the Lightwood book store." I said, like the way I've said it a million other times in my head. Just like the hundreds of other phrases in my head.

"How are you?"

"Discount today!"

"While you like me to open the fire place a little more?"

"Bathrooms are in the back."

"Can I help you find something?"

"Oh I love that book!"

"Come back soon!"

Small talk to let them feel more comfortable here. There are so many conversations that I've played out in my head so I would be ready for any questions or reactions.

"Hello." The man's head didn't turn all the way and his eyes didn't turn at all. He was completely memorized by my store. A smile plays into my lips but I quickly wiped it away.

The man walked in between every single shelf. He also ran his finger on every single book, and he would pull out a book every so often. When he pulled out a book it was like clock work.

Book. Front cover. Back cover. Inside cover. Random page. Keep the book.

He did it for every book he looked at, never missing a step. By the time he finished his arms were full of books.

"Is this all?" It was a stupid question. Of course this was everything, why else would he be here.

"Yes." His voice sounded startled. After he cleared his throat he said it again. "Yes." Like I didn't hear him the first time but the way he way trying to act casual made me smile. I duck my head so he won't see it. My smile is so ugly. My own mother told me that. She told me I was a disgusting, less than human, thing.

"Your total is 20 dollars and 67 cents." When I took the money his fingers brushed his palm, it was as soft as silk. He gave he exact change. A 20 dollar bill, two quarters, a dime, and seven pennies. I wish he would've game me extra so I could just touch his hand again. "Thank you." I bag his dozen or so books and handed them to him, this time brushing the tips of his fingers. They were just as soft as his palm.

"Thank you." His voice made my knees what to buckle, I wish I had a recording of it. To record him saying things like good morning or good night or I love you. "So what's your name? If you don't mind me asking." He wants to know me name. He wants to know me name.

I push down the lump in my throat just long enough to speak.

"Alec."

"Alec." I grabbed onto the counter so I wouldn't fall to my knees. The way he said my name made tingles run through my whole body, from my ears to my toes. "Are you from around here, Alec?" He said my name again. One more time and I'm not sure if I can keep standing.

I can feel my face heat up and a smile tug at the corner of my lips. Instantly my head goes down, he must think I'm weird, I keep looking at my shoes like they're the most interesting thing in the world.

"I live up stairs." It hardly comes out, my throat feel like there's a rope tied around it.

"Then we live across the street from each other."

"Really!" I quickly lift my head, no longer thinking about my horrific smile.

"Yeah, right over there." The points to the apartment building right across the street with his thumb. As in, I could walk across the two four lane street and be standing at his doorstep. "Literally across the street."

My heart swelled and he looked like he really wanted to do something. Probably go home and get away from a freak like me, maybe even look for a new place to live.

"Well it was nice meeting you, Alec" He almost sprinted to the door before to could say anything.

"Wait! I never got your name!" I really wanted to know his name, the name of the first person who talked to me since my mother kicked me out the house and forbid any of my siblings to talk to me.

"It's Magnus." The he was out the door and I watched his cross the street. Watched his go up the flight of stairs to his apartment, watched is lights go on. Even after he went inside I watched his door for a long time, hoping he would come back soon.

From where I was sitting I could see one window that led into his living room, and a shirtless Magnus standing there whispering something to himself. It took me only a second to realize what he was saying. He was whispering my name over and over.

"Alec, Alec, Alec."