Chapter 9

Months seemed to pass by more quickly since I started dating Derrick. It had already been five months and it was now June, Summer. I was minding my own business in my house, my parents were at work and Derrick was asleep in his room. "I hate you," a quiet and low voice whispered behind me. I jumped when I heard it, "what?" I thought it might had been Derrick, but it wasn't. It was someone I hadn't seen in a long time. "How could you?" His eyes seemed to water. "Lance..." I chocked on my words. What was I supposed to say? He was gone, he is not here, this is all just an illusion. This isn't real. "I didn't expect you to actually move on! You really thought I died!?" Tears started to form in my eyes, he yelled at me loud. Why is he here in front of my own eyes? "I had to leave, Renae! I come back and your mom tells me you have a boyfriend!?" Tears were now streaming down his face. I couldn't speak, I reached out and touched his arm. "Lance..." I whispered again in a shaky tone. She took his arm away from my touch forcefully. I shook my head and stared at him. This can't be happening! "I gave you a test to see if you loved me. You lied to me, you said you loved me, you liar!" He yelled at me again. I cried showing no emotion on my face, I tried to dry my tears but they would just keep falling. "Why did you leave?" I whispered getting closer to him, I admired his beautiful face that I missed so much. He pushed me against the wall, his breathing was uneven and he was close to my face. "Ow," I whimpered quietly. "I hate you!" he yelled in my face, I could see the hurt in his eyes. Lance, I am so sorry. "Lance, listen to me," I tried to say calmly. He sniffled away his stuffed nose and let me go, he wiped away his tears, "you said you were in love with me," he started. He wouldn't stop rambling about how I loved him, I tried to get his attention but he wouldn't shut up. We argued about him leaving for forever, "Lance, dammit, I'm still in love with you!" I yelled aloud. Lance seemed to be staring at something behind me, I turned around and saw Derrick. My world seemed to be breaking down all at once. How terrible am I? Derrick looked at me, didn't say a word, and left... he just left. "Lance, look what you made me do!" I cried to him. "Look what you did to me!" He cried back. "Renae! Renae! Renae!"

"Renae! Renae! Renae!" I felt someone shake me. I screamed, wiped my tears. I was breathing heavy, scared for my life. I looked around and noticed I was on my living room couch. This couch always gives me nightmares, I'm tired of the dreams I have because they're never happy no matter how happy I am. I looked up and saw Derrick stroking my hair, helping me wipe my tears. "Sh, Renae, it's okay it was just a dream." He whispered comfortingly in my ear. I cried quietly into his chest while he rubbed my back and rocked me back and forth. "I'm sorry, Derrick, I'm so sorry," I apologized for what I did. I don't know what I did but I sure am sorry. I miss Lance, why is he coming into my dreams? Why are you doing this to me, Lance? I miss you but please stay out of my dreams... my bad dreams. "Don't be sorry, you're fine," he assured me. I wanted to cry more, but I refused my tears from falling. "It was Lance again, I'm sorry," I apologized for my dreams being about him all the time. "It's okay," he assured me again. People say you can control what happens in your dreams, if that's true then why can't I ever control mine? Why?

Days, weeks, months, and then years. My dreams of Lance went away, and soon... so did my thoughts of him. Why does time fly by so fast when you're in love? Derrick and I have been together for two years now and we were now eighteen. What a lovely age to be in love. Derrick bought a new truck with the money he earned from his job and he was still living with me. But since my eighteenth birthday he's been talking about how he's old enough to live in a house by himself now, he talked about what the cops told him the day I came to his house after school. The more he talked about it, the more upset it made me. I didn't want him to leave. If he did who would I have here at the house? Myself, exactly. What if he asked me to move in with him? I don't even know if I was ready. Why am I thinking about moving in with him? It's not like he's going to ask me. I heard a knock on my front door, I got up and opened it. There stood my lovely boyfriend, Derrick. He had only been home at night lately because he worked at Walmart all day. I would go visit him sometimes because he liked when I surprised him. He stood at my door with a variety of flowers in a bouquet. How sweet was he? He was always doing this on random occasions just because he felt like it.

Derrick's Point Of View

I came home, and by home I mean Renae's house. I've thought a few time about maybe moving out and taking her with me, if her parents accepted it of course. I bought some flowers as I was leaving work and carried something in my pocket that I've had for a couple weeks now. I knocked on the door and instantly smiled as she opened it. She let me in and I handed her the bouquet of flowers. "Derrick," she smiled and blushed while taking the flowers. I love doing this for her, I love her so much. Of course we said we loved each other a lot, but now the word love is really starting to get to me. After two years you finally know what the word really means, it's such a strong word. Of course I respected her as well, both me and her are still virgins and I plan on keeping it that way until further notice. Also, of course, we had some sexual activity going on a little here and there but it wasn't often so we wouldn't overdo it.

She went to the kitchen and put the flowers in a vase. She turned around and met face to face with me. I smiled the big cheeky smile she likes so much and watched her laugh. "Are you hiding something from me?" She grinned because I had the look in my eyes. "I might be," I laughed a bit. "Well what is it?" She was always eager to know things at that moment. "Renae..." I started, "please please please," I held her hand tight. She seemed to get worried. "Promise me," I kisses her hand. "Promise you what?" She calmed down from being worried, but only a little bit. "Promise you will always love me. Promise me that one day we'll get married, and that one day we'll have a beautiful family of our own." I pulled the promise ring out of the small box that it had been in for weeks and handed it to her. "Derrick, oh my gosh it's beautiful. Yes, Derrick, I promise." I slipped the ring on her finger and smiled because it fit her so perfectly. I grabbed her waist and pulled her close to me so that our bodies were touching. I've never loved somebody so much. I leaned my head down because of her short height next to my tall figure and kissed her soft and slow. Every time we kiss I remember the first time that we did, I can't believe I still remember all the little things we've done together. Slowly pulling away and hugged her tight and she hugged back.

Later that night we lied in her bed, talking about our future. Is it to soon to be thinking about our future? No, it's just perfect timing. "How many kids do you want?" Renae asked as I played with her hair while her head lied on my chest. "Hm..." I thought for a moment, "maybe two or three. How many do you want?" I asked for her response. "I want two," she smiled, I could feel her smile. I could always feel her smiling against me and I never get tired of it, it's perfect. I nodded in agreement and smiled along with her. "What color wedding should we have?" I asked her because I thought I would let my lady choose. "Let's do..." she thought, "pink and baby blue!" She said excitedly and sat up with a smile. "Those are baby colors, it's a wedding, not a baby shower!" I laughed and groaned because I wasn't going to sit up with her. She playfully slapped my face and laughed, "fine!" She thought again and smiled dreamingly. "How about lavender?" She questioned and played with my hair this time. Lavender, a different shade of purple, "yes, that sounds beautiful." I smiled big at the color she chose. "Oh, and we'll have a big cake with flowers on it, Derrick! Adam can be your best man, Maria can be my maid of honor. It sounds beautiful just thinking about..." she stroked my cheek, I could tell she was excited. I don't know how to ask her to marry me. Of course I would wait maybe a while longer because I just gave her the promise ring, and eighteen is to young to get married. She is what I want, I'm sure of it... maybe.