Chapter 3

My class was so boring, history, I'm terrible at it. I dose off a lot in this class, like now. I like to think, but at times I really hate it because my thinking goes way too far. Today I didn't think about Lance, I thought about Derrick. I learned a lot about him and his friends today at lunch. Derrick was so popular, he and his friends all played football, but he was the star of the football team, he's probably only speaking to me because he feels bad. Why would someone as popular as him, go for the new girl like me? That doesn't seem right... maybe he's trying to make some girl jealous? I think too negatively. But we're very different... he's so outgoing, loud, funny, and attractive. But me... I am shy, quiet, boring, and not so very attractive to be honest. I can't like him, I don't like him. I've only known him for two days of course but I'm still in love with Lance, even if he is gone, I don't care. No matter how much I try I miss him, and it hurts to know that he is never coming back. I'm thinking about him again, I can't... I'll break down. The bell rang trailing me out of my thoughts... again. I was putting my things in my book bag until I felt someone tap my shoulder, I took a glance and thought it was Lance, this has gotten to the point where I think everyone I see is Lance. It was Derrick, far from being Lance. "Hey." I looked up at him, I was the first one to speak this time, I felt proud of myself for speaking first for once. "Hey," he smiled a grand smiled, I thought he was going to ask if I needed a ride home, "It's Friday and I wanted to know if maybe you... Um..." he struggled with his words but finally got it out. "Wanted to come to my football game tonight." I bit my lip and thought for a second. He started to hesitate because I took so long to reply. "I mean it's only if you want to, I can take you home afterwards, but if you don't want to that's okay." He kept rambling and he wouldn't stop, I couldn't get a word in. "Or if you don't want to come that's okay, I can drive you home right now if that's what you want." I couldn't help but laugh at him slightly. He must have thought I was laughing at him because he looked down. "Relax. I'll go." I said smiling and giggling a bit. His face lit up while looking at me. "Really?" he asked surprised and I nodded. "You don't mind staying here after school then? It'd be a lot easier than wasting gas. You should ask your mom first." I did as he said and she said I could. All he was doing was smiling that special smile I like so much. "Awesome, come on, I'll take you to the stands." I followed him outside, this football field was huge. I've never been to a football game before because Lance used to play baseball... he was so good a baseball, my old school's baseball team will never be the same again without him. I started to become sad, he seemed noticed. "Are you okay?" he asked curiously, I answered with a nod. He didn't believe me, I know he didn't believe me but he went along with it, he's known me for two days and is already starting to figure out so much about me with just my lack of words. How does he do that? He started to guide me to a girl sitting in the stands, texting in her phone, she looked up and smiled. Does he already have a girl wrapped around his finger? Am I just a friend he wants to be close to? This felt like it hurt... but why does it hurt? I don't know. "Renae, this is my older sister, Natalia. Natalia, this is my friend I've been talking about, Renae." he said smiling. In a way I felt relieved that this was his sister, I don't know why. He soon left and left me with his sister because he and the football team had to get dressed and warmed up. I'm shy, so I don't want to make things awkward.

Derrick's Point Of View

She's great. I'm so glad she said yes to coming to my game today. It's been two days and I feel really close to her already. She's so shy, I like that. She's definitely not like other girls, she doesn't want me like all the other girls do. Other girls want me because I'm the star of the football team or because I have good looks. I'm not going to lie, I'm not ugly. I laughed slightly to myself, maybe she's not that way yet, maybe she won't end up like that. I can't say I like her... like like her, because I don't. I'm not that kind of guy who falls fast and plays girls, just because I'm "popular" people think I've been with tons of girls, they think I sleep with them. It's not true, I've only been with two girls my whole life, surprising huh? Yeah, I know. My friends are always asking me why I don't go out and find myself a girlfriend, truth is, all the girls at my school care about looks and popularity, it makes me so sick to even think about it. I'm a cheesy type of guy but not so romantic I guess. I've never really had a first date. My great idea of a perfect date isn't something very romantic to be honest. I'd take a girl to my place, order pizza of her choice and watch movies all night. That's a great date for me. I smiled at the thought of it, that I would find a girl to share that perfect date with. I kept walking to the weight room, it seemed farther than usual, maybe I was just lost in my thoughts. Back to the point about my "popularity". I hate when people say I'm popular, I'm just another kid in the school along with everyone else. I'm really not that much more important than everybody else there. They think everything in my life is so perfect, but it's not to tell the truth. I hide all my emotions, I had to see a doctor for it. I had lost both of parents just two weeks ago, I had tried to stay strong for them. They were killed when someone broke into our house, after the guy was done with his job... he killed himself. I had a rough past, used to cut last year, though nobody knew about it but me... My parents were never home, they were always out drinking. I would spend my days in my room just cutting away, I wanted to end my life. Until one day Adam walked in on me by surprise.