How They Got Him

Mornings were always silent.

There was no talking in the apartment. There was a sleepy fog over the city, muffling the usual honks and sirens.

Just the sound of the percolator brewing coffee, each drop precious, like liquid gold.

Mornings were routine: Alec would stir first, laying in bed a few moments before attempting to move out Magnus' arms. Sometimes Magnus would pull him back, sometimes he wouldn't. Sometimes Alec would give in for a few more minutes of rest, other times he would negotiate his way out of bed with whispered words.

In the winter, he'd pull a blanket off the bed, wrapping it around himself as he trudged through the apartment, not ready to commit to the icy air just yet.

But it was summer now so the first thing he did was open all the windows, trying to get a cross-breeze to cool the stifling ancient apartment.

Then he'd turn the coffeepot on, mindlessly placing the coffee filter then filling it with fresh coffee grounds and pressing start.

Alec would pull down two coffee mugs, a random pair from their eclectic collection, dumping a ton of sugar in one while leaving the other empty.

Then he'd continue his morning by giving the Chairman his breakfast, then dropping four slices of toast in the toaster.

Toast and jam was the typical breakfast meal for them.

At some point in time, Magnus would come wandering out, generally giving the coffeepot enough time to make two cups.

Today, Magnus came out with a blanket wrapped around himself as well. He poured the cups and handed one off to Alec. Then with one hand securing his lifeline of caffeine, the other took a hold of Alec's hand and guided him to the couch made for two. Alec curled up in Magnus' lap, watching the Brooklyn skyline, and slowly sipping his coffee, forgetting the toast for the time being.

Silence was appreciated and taken advantage of in this house. Their lives had been far too hectic for far too long. Some days offered bursts of excitement but nothing could really compare to the chaos of Edom. Neither of them missed those days.

Alec settled his head against Magnus' chest just as a phone started screaming it's ringtone.

"I'm the type of girl you wanna chew all of my bubble gum. The type of girl you wanna chew all of my bubble gum." Magnus scrambled to his feet, searching for his phone. The volume was so loud it was hard to pinpoint the exact spot. . .

"I'm the type of girl ya wanna take to ya mama house, t-t-t-take to ya mama house."

"By the Angel, Magnus, shut that off," Alec moaned, falling into the pillows. It was bad enough that Magnus played mundane music but this song particularly irked him.

"The Georgia Peach and i'm back again its time to do the damn thang, better tell ya friends."

"Was my phone in the room?" Magnus asked. Alec looked back at him, annoyed. Magnus ran down the hallway.

"First thangs first: I Sheeda, mess around wit' no man who won't eat her. It's time to get it straight, these suckas round here trippin', ya know you do it boy, so gone and keep it pimpin'! Got that Juciy Fruit, certified Bubble Yum--"

Alec could hear Magnus murmuring something.

"--second."

Catarina's voice suddenly crackled over the speakerphone as Magnus plopped down next to Alec.

"Okay. We're both here. Tell him what you told me," Magnus said, staring at Alec. He could tell Magnus was trying to keep a straight face.

"Hello, Alec," Cat said.