Day 5

Back to the Future

"Gideon."

He rubbed his eyes, turning away from the brightness of the morning sun.

"Gideon, love. It is nearly eight. Gabriel's train will be here soon."

Gideon?

Gabriel?

Alec opened his eyes. A sweet face stared down at him, a scar running across her cheek drew his eyes in.

He looked away quickly, though.

"Gideon?"

She scrunched her face together in confusion.

"Are you ill?" Concern, with a twinge of offense, made her voice climb octaves.

"I must be," Alec mumbled. He sat up and she jumped back. "Who are you?"

"Sophie!" her voice squeaked.

"And you think I'm. . ."

"Gideon," she filled in. "But you are!"

Alec shook his head.

"My name is Alexander."

"I'm getting Will," Sophie said, fleeing from the room.

The room looked nothing like the one he had gone to sleep in the night before. This was formal-- entirely vintage.

Magnus' house was anything but. Unless he had redone the furniture again and hired a psychotic maid.

Neither would be a first. . .

Alec climbed out of the four-poster bed, walking towards the open window.

His eyes adjusted with every step.

He put his hands on the windowsill, leaning against it.

Wherever he was, it was most definitely not Brooklyn.

"Gideon?"

Alec turned around, his body instinctively responding to the name.

"Alec," Alec corrected to a man with black hair and shimmering blue eyes. Behind him stood a familiar face. "Tessa?"

Will put a protective arm out, blocking Tessa. It was obviously a reflex-- Alec did the same thing to Isabelle and Magnus.

"Do you know him?" Will asked, looking back at Tessa.

"No," she said, softly.

"My name is Alexander Lightwood--"

"Lightwood?" Sophie had appeared on the other side of Will.

Alec nodded, once.

"Where am I?" Alec asked.

"London," Will answered.

"London?" Alec looked back at the dense fog looming over the city. "And what year is it?"

"1880," Will said.

"That's not right," Alec said. "No, that can't be right."

Alec finally noticed the runes on Will's lower arms, his biceps covered with loose cotton shirt.

"You're a Shadowhunter," Alec said. "Okay. Um--"

"Gid-- Alexander, where are you from?"

"New York," Alec said, his voice unnaturally high-- and it wasn't just Gideon's voice. "And when I went to sleep last night it was 2014."

"You must have a fever," Sophie said, stepping in front of Will.

"I don't," Alec growled.

"I believe him," Tessa said. "I'll get Henry and Charlotte. Will, you should go get Gabriel and Cecily."