Chapter 2

I opened my eyes to find myself in open daylight. But something was weird about the first thing I saw. I was off the ground.

Wiping my eyes and trying to flip over, I looked under to see I was in a net. What the heck?

I fingered at the net, but there was no way out, it was strung tight from whatever was above me. The loud sound of buzzing gave away that a helicopter was what was carrying me. Why am I being carried this way? Wouldn't it be easier if they brought me by car? I wondered, looking around for suggestion.

Then I remembered everything that happened. The fact that I was being transported somewhere. But where exactly?

I tried to stand, tried to move, but the swaying of the net and its unstable weakness left me flopping over. It wasn't helpful at all. One thing was certain though: Thank goodness I wasn't afraid of heights.

At one point, as I sat there staring up at the helicopter, I saw someone peek out the side and down at me. The turned there head back to say something, before turning back to give me a last look. I just stared, feeling seething rage at everyone up there. I was as normal as them, almost, but I couldn't help the fact that I was part animal or whatever. It was like segregation all over again.

It was a few more minutes before they finally started to descend. I squirmed around so that I could see the ground below, preparing to set foot wherever I was.

Dropping down gently, one side of the net was released without my knowing, and I stumbled out and onto the grass. It was cool and soggy, probably ruining my jacket. I had shifted last time, did they seriously dress me?

"Hey, wait!" I shouted, stumbling up quickly as the helicopter began to leave. I chased after the net frantically, my human form too slow. I didn't have the time or will to strip and shape-shift right here, and the people on the side of the helicopter were already pulling the net up off the ground.

I slowed down, my boots getting soaked. They were leaving me behind, there was no way I could get back right now. Tears began to fall. Watching the helicopter leave was like watching my whole life disappear. The whole life I had built upon until now.

I wiped away at the tears, but they were flowing on their own. I couldn't help the devastating feeling inside that pushed at my tears, stronger than my will to make them stop. I would miss everything, my friends, my family, my pets.

Looking down at the white scarf over my jean jacket, I carefully traced the designs of the cotton, before grabbing it and pulling it off. I held it in my arms, deciding whether or not to toss it.

What was the point in keeping it? I couldn't really use it for anything, and it would just destroy it.

Making my final decision, I moved over to a pine tree, tossing the white scarf.

Stripping carefully, first removing the jean jacket and then my leggings, I slowly tossed everything aside.

Shape-shifting, I rolled my neck, feeling the power in me. It felt good to be like this, but at the same time it felt small and vulnerable without the upright body and clothes and shoes. It had been my armor against the forces of nature.

I was happy that I couldn't cry now, just agony ripping at my insides. I had to be strong, that was for sure.

Looking around, I tried to figure out where to go. Where I was. What to do. But then I remembered:

The government knew that there would be an uproar if they did anything inhumane to any shape-shifter. So they reserved to putting us in a place where we would be contained. Where we would be OK too, and safe from anyone who disrespected us enough to try and harm one of us. So they resorted to seemingly the only places that would meet those expectations.

National parks and monuments.

But the cop said Glacier. Where was I then? Was there a glacier nearby? But then how far north would I be?

With a small, quivering yowl at the trees, at the wild as if to declare my presence, I took a few small steps forward. I would get out of here if it was the last thing I could do.

Bowing down like a dog, I flexed my claws and leaped into a sprint.