Jasper One Shot: Starstruck

Start from the beginning

-”Oh, I beg your pardon; I wasn’t watching were I was going.” I said rushed. I had been entranced by my own thoughts that I hadn’t noticed as I walked straight into the back of some man. He turned around slowly. My breathe got caught in my throat.

-”Hello Marika, its fine. How have you been?” I was still shocked. Too shock to even speak. I was just babbling like an idiot.

-”I’m-I mean-how are-what are-um…ugh…” I must have been blushing. He hadn’t changed though. He still spoke with a strained voice. It was strange though. In senior year he seemed to have gotten over it somewhat with others, with me, not so much. He smiled. I wonder if he could tell I was really nervous.

-”Seems to me that after three years you’ve changed, you don’t seem to talk as much.” he said chuckling dryly. I blushed more. I shook my head “no” and cleared my throat.

-”I’m the same. I was just caught off guard. I’m fine though, how are you Jasper? I haven’t herd from you since high school. Here I was thinking we were friends.” I had gotten over most of my embarrassment.

-”I’d certainly hope we are. I’m fine though, my family and I decided to move back.” I was sad. He had a family already. “You know? My siblings and I?” Ohhhh now I see. My sorrow seemed to have vanished.

-”Oh! I see! That’s great!” I said full of happiness. I had a bright smile on my face. “I wish we could hang out more though…I mean I really mis…”

-“Marika! Sweety!” I was cut off by someone trying to catch my attention. I looked to see who it was. I couldn’t see through the crowd of college students. Then I saw it. My mother. *sigh* She was holding up a banner with ’Welcome Home Marika!’ written on it. ‘She still has that damn thing. I thought I destroyed it!’ I thought annoyed. Every time I come I have to put up with embarrassing welcoming such as these. I waved to her. She was beckoning me over, but I signaled for her to wait. She looked mad, and made a ‘come here now’ sign. I shook my head and said one minute with my finger. We argued a little bit more and eventually my mother gave up, folding the stupid banner. I sighed turning back to talk to Jasper.

-”Well, anyways, Jasp…Jasper? Jasper?!” Were did he go? *sigh* Oh well I was hoping to ask him to dinner, but guess not. With a heavy heart I picked up my bag that was on the floor. There was something sticking out of a pocket. I picked it up. ‘Meet me outside the high school at midnight, Japer’ I smiled. He must have been in a hurry. ‘Damn it! Why mother?! Why?!’

The whole way to my house was with my mother scolding at me for making her wait and wasting her time. I argued back saying she might have frightened off her future son-in-law. She laughed, I huffed and my father just shook his head. So much for the joyous feeling that is Christmas. Today was a week before Christmas Eve so I was hoping for a bit of understanding. The time at home my mom had me making dinner and just talking and catching up on things. My mother mainly nagging at me about me ever getting hitched, but I just ignored her thankful that my dad was there to quiet down the woman. Now I see who I get the attitude from. My mom was like me, she won’t ever shut up! When nighttime approached everyone decided to stay up watching Christmas movies, it was a tradition of ours. Around eleven my parents decided they were tired and headed up for bed. I followed and just waited about twenty minutes before they were fast asleep. I smiled and changed into warmer clothing and placed on some boots. The snow was pretty deep, so I couldn’t take my car. I’d just walk there, it’s not like it’s really far away. I’d take something hard though just incase. I grabbed a flashlight and a giant spoon my mother had.

It was a pretty good night. The wind wasn’t as fierce as I thought it would have been. The night seemed tranquil with the bright stars lighting the sky and the beautiful moon glistening off the snow. I had finally reached the school I checked my clock when I didn’t spot Jasper. It was about ten until midnight. I leaned against the wall and waited. I closed my eyes; I soon got tired after not even two minutes and went to sit on a log just outside the entrance to the forest. I rested there for a little when I felt something rush past me. I shivered. I looked up at the stars counting them. They were beautiful, you don‘t get to see them like this over at my college. You were lucky if you saw a small bunch. I remember my whole life wishing on those bright stars. For anything really. When I’d get sick I’d wish to get better. It would work. On Christmas, for a new puppy when I was six. I got it, it ran away though. Now I’d think it was just childish. My mother would always say it was stupid. She’d scold me for everything. The stars where like my motivation to continue, they made me feel that when things got hard I could just wish them better.