Chapter Twelve

Depuis le début

Carlisle mended him and we went on our way after extreme thanks from me. One of the nurses in my social circle informed me the kind doctor had no family and I set out to make him feel welcomed in ours. I had made a batch of my famous sugared chocolate chip cookies and Edward accompanied me to the hospital to deliver them.

We found the good doctor and he seemed very touched by the cookies. Edward embarrassed me entirely when he said that 'he doesn't want them' right in front of the doctor. Carlisle agreed with Edward turning them down saying he didn't have a sweet tooth but he would love for me to give them to the children in the pediatric wing. As we parted ways I turned back to look at the doctor and nearly fainted in shock.

He was sparkling. He looked like my ring whenever it caught sunlight he shined so intensely as he ran quickly through the brightly lit corridor. At first I thought he was some sort of angel but then the word vampire suddenly popped into my head and I was sure of it.

Over the next few months he became our family's main doctor. My father broke his hip, there was Carlisle mending him. Edwards father got shot in the leg during court, there was Carlisle. I had many of my famous migraines, each time there was Carlisle checking for brain injuries.

"Carlisle, please, there has to be something you can do?" I urged him to just help Edward already.

"There...is. One more and absolutely final thing I can do. But I only have time for one of you if it is to work." he explained.

"Help Edward." I affirmed.

"It's very painful Elizabeth." he countered.

"Help Edward." I let all of my emotions show through my eyes and he seemed to melt.

"I don't want to lose you Elizabeth." He cupped my face looking like he might cry himself.

"And I could never truly live without my son." I kissed his cheek and he took in a deep breath as his body shook with silent sobs.

"You must do everything in your power. What others can not do that is what you must do for my Edward." I tried to hint of my knowing what he was going to do.

He was going to change my son into a vampire. I wasn't worried though. Not all vampires are bad if Carlisle is such a kind and forgiving man. A man of healing and patients. He would make a wonderful guide for my son.

"Come here." Carlisle drew me tightly into his arms and my head started spinning. He breathed deeply and shook violently.

"I love you Elizabeth. I won't ever forget you." his calm voice spoke into my ear as my blood seemingly turned cold.

"How could you? A girl like me is once in a lifetime." I giggled and coughed up a little blood onto his shirt.

"I love you." He spoke more urgently now and I knew I was to the end.

"Tell Edward I love him and to try to remember me every so often. And Carlisle?" I asked.

"Yes Elizabeth?" He asked.

"I love you too." I smiled up at him.

*End

"I remember." I looked down at the ground.

I remember my love for Carlisle, how I couldn't love him because of my neglectful and controlling husband. Now I can't love him because of his loving and wonderful mate.

Life is just cruel like that I suppose.

"What happened?" Carlisle asked me.

"It's the monster. Sometimes she's able to influence my gift and it hurts my head."

"Your migraines?"

"My migraines were actually a sign of my gift. I'm able to pull information out of others and I remember everything. Everything. Everything for my human life and vampire life alike. Although when I'm the monster my memories are blurry and I usually don't remember them unless someone mentions what I did." I explained.

"Elizabeth...what exactly is the monster?" Carlisle asked cautiously.