Darkness.

" 'Darkness':noun@
/'dɑːknəs/
'where there is little or no light.'

Sometimes, simply one word can speak volumes. And, as the dictionary provides the meaning of the word above, 'darkness' is one of them.

For each individual facing the adversities and trials of this merciless world, they all have a differently unparalleled explanation of 'darkness'. Behind every person, there is a story. And behind every story, there is an unproportional share of darkness and light.

Darkness, in a nutshell, is the complete opposite of hope and illumination. Loathe, hate, depression, and ignorance are a few of its subdivisions, and it is an entity in existence which consumes and swallows everything and everyone crossing its path.

When darkness diffuses and spreads, it directly invades and manipulates the functions of the heart. No, it does not affect when or how the heart pumps scarlet liquid inside the cores of our bodies - in fact, it allows the heart to not only see, but also visualize, fantasize, imagine, and feel all the sentiments belonging to the negative dimension, that appears bleached of all the beautiful colours that are the essential ingredients to a happy life's recipe.

Scientifically, however, darkness is caused when any opaque object is placed in front of another object which is luminous, and thus, a dark region with various shades of shadows is created. Literally or metaphorically, this 'darkness' is mainly injected into our bodies after we face a dreadful calamity or catastrophe, and also after our brains have fully realized the impact of the pain caused.

Human sentiments are quite strange - especially one named 'pain', which results in the darkening and dulling of human souls. Pain might not be fully comprehended by our hearts for weeks, months, or perhaps even years, as long as we keep ignoring it or choose not to accept the crestfallen reality. But then, that is when our brains unexpectedly start functioning, and the ultimate, undeniable, and excruciating impact of the situation hits us - and it hits us hard.

Darkness is a byproduct of pain. After desperately hoping for someone, anyone, to hear our desperate yet silent cries of pain and receiving no replies in return, our hearts only receive, comprehend, and learn to understand darkness.

To that one particular individual, it seems as though darkness is invincible, unfixable, undefeatable, and unignorable. Darkness changes not only the certain individual themselves by directly affecting their health (as depression causes a lack of sleep and appetite as well as insomnia in most people), but it also transforms the way their eyes view the world, transients their perspectives and manners of thinking, and disrupts the manner and order in which their brains and hearts register, record, store, and react to their feelings.

Nonetheless, everyone should always know that nothing is ever impossible - the word itself states 'I'm possible' - and that there lies no dimension in this world where things and people and hearts cannot be fixed and healed from their previous scars of desolation or devastation.

Yes.

Darkness is strong.

But its opposite is always, always, much, much more stronger.

Hope, as it diverges with darkness, only clings on to someone as long as they cling on to it. They should have faith that only after the darkest hour of the night comes dawn, and remember that the stars and the moon can only shine and be visible to the inhabitants of the Earth in the darkness. They should know that rainbows can only be materialized after a massive, heavy rain - but furthermore, they should not think that it is only sunshine that is capable of turning their dark, rainy days into brighter ones. True happiness, which is perfectly capable of erasing all of their murky, shadowy clouds, is achieved by learning and teaching our own selves how to dance in the rain.

Nobody should wait for the most immaculate moment of their lives to come strolling towards them. They should take every chance they have, every difficulty they face, any trials they go through, and every tear they shed as an inaudible, soundless, unexpressed, and voiceless call for help, and try to make their presents moments immaculate, by trying hard, giving the best of their abilities to everything they do, being positive, and believing. Believing in a better day, a better tomorrow, and an even better future.

This is the only way darkness can be fought back with.

Of course, overcoming and defeating the all-consuming powers of darkness is easier said than done. But everything beautiful, exquisite, and natural in this world is formed slowly and gradually. When an egg is broken from the outside, with force and rapidness, life is destroyed. But when it cracks spontaneously by itself from within - as the chick has firm belief in its abilities and makes its way outside the egg - life is born. Similarly, all wonderful things in life require love, patience, and faith.

Therefore, it can be asserted that Y E S, darkness is not an invincible force - it may definitely be a strong one, but it stands no chance against the light and positivity deep within everyone's souls.

May all of us have the courage and determination to never give up battling our dark sides, be able to sum up and realize ourselves, our strengths, and our weaknesses, and use these abilities as weapons, and to welcome and spread the ever-lasting, eternal cycle of love - that, once set in motion, is always u n s t o p p a b l e. "

x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x

I just felt like I needed to spread the hope, and thus, I share this essay I wrote a few months back (and to get the actual feeling of the topic, I did this out in my gallery at 10 - 12 in the night, completely alone, and in pitch-black darkness, would you believe, lit only by a very small bulb). xD
Hehehe. Also, I designed that cover by hand. :')

Please vote and comment as well, if you'd like to! :)

Thank you so much for reading this, and I hope you have not only just one good day today, but so many more in the coming future! <3