Part 29

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I entered one of my booktrailers into a contest. Would you mind voting? If you don't like mine, it's for Scotland's Guardians, vote for one of the others. There are some really awesome ones. Please help me out. Here's the link: http://yougottaread.com/category/video-contest/ (you need to copy it by hand. Sorry)

That said, here comes the highlight of the story (for me it was the scene that started the whole story). Plus, I have now posted 2/3 of the story.

I'm super delighted to let you know that I reached Round 3 in TheWriteAwards! See here: http://www.wattpad.com/17376825-the-write-awards-2013-going-on-to-round-3

The judges have done a spectacular job of weeding through 100+ stories. The next step will include the writing of 3 short stories for the 15 remaining finalists. I'm really, really excited.

Cat

_____________________________________________

She went to her flat to fetch the handicapped ID first, and then she went on to the nerlôpital. The ceiling of the entrance area was just about high enough that a human could move without crouching. Moira asked the nerl at the reception to announce her visit to the injured nerl's doctor and followed the receptionist's directions to the intensive care unit.

A healer hardly reaching up to her knee caught up with her in the hallway. "I'm really sorry but we cannot allow you to visit even though you're from the Gendarmerie. Gronk is traumati…" He stopped and stared at her. Then, he grabbed her hand and dragged her along. "Come, hurry. Maybe it's good for you to talk to him after all."

Moira wondered about his sudden change of attitude but she followed without resistance. The healer pushed her into a windowless room that looked like a cave. Stalagmites covered walls and ceiling and the air was moist and cold. Somewhere, water dropped on stone. On a small mound of pieces of plate, Gronk sat and stared into space. Although the room was rather small, he looked lost. He didn't react when she greeted him.

"Get him to make a contract with you," the healer said. "With a lot of luck, it will help him. It's worth a try."

Hesitantly, Moira sat on the ground beside the mound of plate. For a while, she studied the armless nerl silently. The wound had already healed but Gronk's expression was anything but happy. When the healer had left, she said, "I know it's not a good time just now, but I have to ask you a couple of questions."

Gronk stared into space, motionless.

"The Gendarmerie depends on your statement. You're the only one who survived the bloodbath."

"Survived? Pah." Gronk spit and looked at her. "Piss off."

"I will stay here until I get a statement." Moira crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"In that case, you can wait until the dragons' world freezes over."

Moira remained silent.

"Go away. My word isn't of worth any more anyway."

"Why that?"

"I'm a dead nerl walking, a cripple who'll never grow again." Gronk slumped until his head rested on his knees.

His shoulders trembled, but his crying was so low, Moira couldn't hear it. She wanted to stroke his back, but she understood nerls well enough to know that she'd only make him angry. If only I could help him. She sighed. At that moment, she remembered how the nerl in the museum's archive had taken his payment out of her aura. After her visit, he'd been bigger than before. Also, all nerls working for her were bigger than average. Maybe Gronk will grow despite the lost arm if he touches my aura. She remembered that the archivist had moved his right hand over her arm. If he can't move his arm over mine, I could move mine over his. She bent forward and poked Gronk.