Part 28

Author's Note: This is only a short chapter. Since I'm preparing the launch of my next novel (YA Science Fantasy) in the next few days, I didn't have time for more. The next chapter will be much, much longer, I promise.

_____________________________________

Druidus woke her with low music and an invitation for breakfast in the kitchen. "Your nerl was rather angry that I ordered coffee today. It took me a while to convince him."

Moira smiled. Her nerls had always been rather stubborn.

Druidus handed her the dressing gown. "Don't you think he's rather big for a coffeemaker nerl?"

"It's the same with all my nerls. I had to get bigger living quarters for some of them already." Moira stretched and got up to go to the bathroom. "I wonder why they thrive so well at my place."

"They know you're someone special." Druidus kissed her. She answered in like, and they landed in bed again. The Wake-up nerl's voice sounded angry as he sang his "Sortie du sommeil."

Druidus glanced at the clock and jumped out of bed. "Are you going to shower first or shall I?"

"You first." When Druidus was done, Moira showered faster than ever before, so they had enough time to enjoy a joint breakfast before they had to drive to work.

Since it was raining, Druidus dropped her at the entrance and drove on to his parking space. Moira entered the Gendarmerie, and her footsteps echoed through the empty hall. In the corridor, she met Sabio. He had shadows under his eyes and seemed floppy and tired. Wordlessly, he waved her to follow him into his office where he opened a save set into the wall that she hadn't noticed before. He took out the case with the evidence. "Could you take these to Excelsior? I have to finish another report."

"Sure." Moira took the case.

At this moment, Druidus came in, shaking the rain off his coat. "Beastly weather!"

Sabio wiped his eyes and turned to Moira. "Your test is this afternoon, right?"

Moira pressed her hand on her mouth. "Dear me, the test! I completely forgot about it."

"Don't worry. You'll pass it," Druidus said.

"But I left my handicapped ID at home."

Druidus caressed her cheek. "We'll fetch it in the lunch hour."

Sabio smiled. "You will be off duty until your test begins."

Moira was relieved. A free morning would be enough to fetch the handicapped ID, even without Druidus. She could take the evidence to the archive and get going right after. Sabio held her back.

"Since you've got time on your hands would you mind visiting the nerlôpital unofficially this morning? Try to talk to the nerl you saved."

Moira nodded. "What shall I ask him?"

"If the doctors let you visit at all, I'd like to know of he'd heard anything."

Moira frowned. "Why shouldn't they let me visit him? After all, I saved his life."

"Suicidal nerls are usually not allowed to see anyone."

Moira pulled up her eyebrows. "Why should the little one try to kill himself? Shouldn't he be happy that he survived the loss of an arm?"

"You don't know much about nerls, do you? It really is a pity that Magical Theory no longer is part of the curriculum of schools." Sabio pointed to the chairs in front of his desk. He waited for Moira and Druidus to sit before he began to explain. "Listen. For the work nerls do for humans, they get the magical energy we can't use. They need this energy to live. To digest the magic, they need their right hand which they call contract hand. Nerls who don't have a contract hand commit suicide sooner or later."

"But that's not what I saved his life for." Moira was horrified. "Is there no way to help him?"

Sabio shrugged. "I don't know. I'm not a healer for nerls."

"In that case, I'll have to talk to his doctors."

"I'll tell a patrol carpisto to fetch you at the entrance." Sabio reached for the parlebol. He looked as if he'd fall asleep any moment.

Moira felt pity for him. The burglary and the many murders burdened him and he had no one to discuss his problems. She thanked him and got up. "I'll just take the evidence to Excelsior."

Druidus left the office before she could and took the case with the evidence. "I'll take it. You can go to the nerlôpital right away."

Moira frowned. "Are you sure you want to see your father right now?"

Druidus sighed. "With a little luck, he won't be there yet. He's late quite often."

"Don't let him harass you." She smiled at him. "At least, he won't get rid of me with money."

His gaze grew solemn. "It's about time I talk to him. He has to understand that I'm going to live my life the way I want and that I won't let him or Mother determine it for me."

"Don't fall for his mockery." Moira offered her lips for another kiss. Then, he walked down the stairs to the vault with the archive, and she left the building through the front door and entered the patrol carpisto that was waiting for her already.