Part 15

At the station, they reported to Sabio. "And the best thing is," Druidus said, "that Leclerque Bastide resides in Elveholme."

The Commissaire scratched his chin. "So we would have to assume that he might be an elf. There are hardly any humans living in the vicinity of the elves."

Druidus remained skeptic. "A criminal elf? Isn't that a bit far-fetched?"

Moira shook her head. "Since the box in Lif's room implies that he had been involved in the burglary, it makes snese. There was an elf that night, and it seems as if Lif and Bastide had been friends."

Sabio nodded. "It's possible. But it's also possible that Bastide didn't loose the pin himself at the crime scene or at a different point in time. I'll send Lel and Buster to Elveholme. Maybe they can find out when he left."

Moira was disappointed. She longed to help with the investigations.

"Aside from that, I think Leclerque Bastide is an important witness," Druidus said. "Don't you think we should talk to him?"

"You only want to ride the Tapisrapide." Sabio grinned. "Fine, let's try it. Maybe he really is the elf on the surveillance globe. In that case I'd love to ask him where the other night-watchman went to." He glanced at the clock. The shift was nearly over. He turned to Moira. "I'd like you to accompany him. Otherwise, silly billy will try all fairground carousels at the expense of the Gendarmerie."

Moira beamed. She only knew the Great Carnival from magazines. The high price for admittance and a six-hour drive with the trainerl-way had put her off. Also, she had never been in a Tapisrapide either. "Shouldn't we take along a couple more gendarmes? In the Great Carnival, a single elf might be hard to find."

"We'll take a trackball." Druidus rubbed his hands. "I love it when fun and work are the same. I'll be back in ten minutes." He ran from Sabio's office.

Obviously, Sabio had noticed the confusion with which Moira gazed after her colleague since he said, "He's fetching his Tapisrapide."

"His?" Moira's eyebrows shot up.

"Truth be told, it belongs to his father, but Druidus can use it for work any time. The Gendarmerie refunds only the usual flat rate for official journeys." Sabio put his feet on his tabletop and reached for the parlebol. "You didn't think the Gendarmerie could afford their own high-speed carpisto, did you?" He turned to the bowl, called the inventory department, and ordered a trackball and an elfnet.

The first quarter of the hour of the trip flew by. Moira couldn't get enough of the world speeding past down below, and she was a little ashamed for feeling like a small child. When they had left the mainland behind, Druidus switched over to auto-nerl. He turned his seat to face hers. "Finally, we're alone with you awake."

Moira looked up at him. His gaze made her blush.

He bent forward and took one of her hands. "I know this isn't the best moment to tell you this, but I fell in love with you head over heals." He pulled her hand to his mouth. The gentle touch of his lips shot through Moira's arm like a lightning strike. Her jaw dropped and her arm muscles refused to work, so she couldn't pull away her hand. Was she trembling from excitement of from fear? She didn't know.

Druidus slipped closer until she felt his breath on her face. "I knew from our first run in that you are the woman I'll fight for. I want to grow old with you."

Moira swallowed. Heat waves pulsated from her fingers through her body, and her heart thumped so hard, she felt it in her throat. Her mouth opened and closed but not a single word came out.

"I know Lif's death was a downer for you, and there is probably no room in your life for me just now. But I will always be there for you," Druidus said. "I would be incredibly happy if you'd agree to have a date with me some time soon. Will you give me a chance?" His big, dark blue eyes begged her.