A Lie through Confusion

Start from the beginning

The words 'I love you' had been uttered several times between the two of them. Whether it be after in bed, sticky and sweaty from sex; or when one was feeling down and the other would come into their room to try and comfort them.

They were both happy with their lives, most of the times. And neither of them had ever thought something could come between that just like that, tearing everything apart.

Most of their time consisted of either enjoying each other's existences quietly or passionate sex.

And maybe that was the biggest problem of all.

Dan and Phil didn't think they were drifting away. They always thought they were as close as ever. But maybe, they were a bit wrong about that.

They were both covered in cum, laying on the bed, staring at the ceiling, not bothering to get up and clean themselves up just yet.

"I love this," Dan muttered, still a bit breathless.

"I love you," Phil smiled.
Dan didn't respond, and that was when it started to worry Phil.

A few days later, and neither of them had talked very much. There was no real reasoning behind it. Phil could have usually confronted Dan about whatever problem they might have been having, but for some reason, that didn't seem to be right right now.

The only conversations they would have were made of closed-ended questions and no actual thought. They tried to pretend nothing was wrong, but it never did work.

"Dan," Phil had blurted out, not being able to hold it back.

They were both on the couch. But the problem was, Dan was as far away from Phil as he could be. Normally, they would have always been cuddled together like this, small kisses between them every now and then.

"Yeah?" Dan didn't even bother look away from his laptop.

Phil hesitated. "What's been on with you the last few days?"

"Hm? Oh, nothing," he stated, thought it was obviously a lie.

"Don't give me that. I know you're not always like that. What's wrong."

Dan finally looked away, looking at Phil wistfully before setting his laptop down on the table. "I- I think we need to talk."

"Talk?"

"Yeah, talk. It- It's nothing, really. I just think- Maybe we should take a bit of time off from our relationship."

Dan said the words like they were nothing, but they hit Phil like everything.

"Any reason?"

"Don't you ever think about it, Phil? What was our relationship even formed on? Flirty messages, meaningless sex, and teenage hormones, probably."
Phil did nothing but stare a few seconds. "It didn't mean anything to you, then?"

"Maybe it didn't," Dan retorted, getting mad at absolutely nothing.

Phil sighed. "If you want to take some time off, I'm not going to say no," he replied bitterly.

The week after that was filled nearly with dead silence between them. Phil couldn't bring himself to talk to Dan, because he felt like he'd burst out and admit how miserable he'd been without Dan. Dan couldn't talk to Phil because he knew he regretted every word he'd said, but didn't know how to undo them.

While rained in on a Monday, they finally talked.

"Hey," Phil greeted, no emotion put behind his words.

"Hey," Dan replied, trying to act as he normally would have, if nothing had happened between the two.

"You act like nothing's wrong," Phil remarked, trying not to sound like it was biting at him as much as it was.