Chapter 1

Kurt sat on his bed in their New York apartment. It had only been 3 months since Blaine was deployed to Afghanistan. Kurt missed him deeply. He had a picture on his bedside table of Blaine right before he left. Kurt grabbed the picture and sighed.

"You'll be home soon enough," he says as he holds the picture against his chest.

Kurt felt like he was saying that to himself a lot lately. But, he missed Blaine. Missed him like crazy. Even everyone at their work missed him. But, they couldn't sit and reminisce about Blaine being home. They had to get on with their lives. Though, Blaine was always on their minds.
________________________
When the work day was through, they were all dismissed to go home that day. Kurt went home and sat on his couch. Sitting there brought back memories of him and Blaine. Tears filled his eyes as he reminisced. But only for a minute, though, because their 3 year old daughter Alexis came running into the living room.

"Daddy Daddy Daddy!," she squealed.

Kurt caught her as she jumped into his arms.

"Be careful, sweetie. Daddy doesn't want you to fall and hurt yourself," he said.

Their house had hardwood floors all throughout. Kurt didn't want Alexis to slip and hit her little chin or break one of her bones. A broken bone is the last thing Kurt wanted his daughter to experience.

He picked up his daughter and put her on his lap.

"Daddy, when Papa be home?," Alexis asked.

Kurt thought for a minute. He honestly didn't know.

"I don't know, sweetheart. Papa's very busy right now," he told her.

Alexis looked up at him.

"Why Papa busy?," she asked.

Kurt thought about how he could explain to a 3 year-old that her Papa was helping protect their country.

"Papa's busy helping keep the bad guys away from our homes," he said.

Alexis laid her head on Kurt's chest. Kurt ran his fingers through her hair.

"I miss Papa," Alexis mumbled against his chest.

Kurt sighed.

"I know baby. Daddy does too."

He tried not to cry. He had to be strong for Alexis, and Blaine. The two sat there for a minute. Then, Kurt broke the silence.

"You want Daddy to make you a PB&J?," he asked her.

A PB&J sandwich was Alexis' favorite food. She nodded against Kurt's chest.

"Okay," he said and kissed her head.

He tried to get up, but Alexis wouldn't let go of him.

"Honey, you have to let go of Daddy. So I can make your sandwich," Kurt said.

Alexis wouldn't budge. Kurt sighed. He picked her up and sat her on his hip. Then he thought, put her down and make her sandwich, so you can have some time to yourself for a minute.

He sat Alexis down on the floor. She looked up at Kurt, tears filling her eyes.

"You not love me, Daddy?," she asked.

Kurt's heart shattered.

"Sweetheart, Daddy will always love you," he soothed.

He knelt down and picked Alexis up, holding her close to his chest. She buried her face in his chest and bawled her little eyes out.

Kurt sighed.

He looked up at the ceiling.

"Blaine, wherever you are, I hope you're safe. We really need you right now."

Alexis eventually cried herself to sleep and Kurt carried her into her room and put her to bed. He closed her door and went to his room. Kurt sat on his bed, grabbed the picture on his nightstand, held it to his chest, and broke down. He hadn't cried this hard since Blaine left.

"I love you so much," he said.

Kurt finished crying and dried his tears. He sat the picture back on his nightstand. He crawled into bed.

Taking one last look at the picture, he said, "I love you so, so much baby".

Kurt turned out the light, closed his eyes tightly, and fell asleep.

~SaraLiz36~