Chapter 2

Maiel swam through the tepid water of her pool. Since her return, her grotto had changed, yet it still provided a refuge in which she hid from her duties and prepared for her coming incarnation. She could not place the difference, but it was there. Sinking beneath the surface, she floated in the comforting water. The level had lowered by nearly a foot from where it normally sat just a couple of inches below the stone ring. Her toe touched the bottom. Many of the plants growing out of the sand had gone. The naiades had ceased their visits. There were few fish left, as though someone took them away a few at a time. She pushed to the surface again and drew a breath. Crouching on the edge, Samuel peered at her over his knees.

"I don't want you to go," Samuel said.

Maiel swam toward him. She considered his aspect, holding onto the stone edge.

"Who will help your father?"

"No one can help him."

"Samuel, that's not true."

"You know it in your heart. You just won't say it because you think you're bound to him. It's not your duty, mama."

"Samuel!" Maiel gasped.

Samuel squeezed his lips tight. He had indeed spoken out of turn. Maiel touched his hand, letting him know that she understood why. He was afraid, worried she would never return, especially after her leaving them there earlier. The children blamed their janya, though only Samuel and his eldest atrin dared to say it.

"I promise this is the last time. Please do not say things you'll regret. Your janya will leave soon and you won't be able to amend them," Maiel said.

Samuel walked away. Maiel quickly climbed out of the water and threw on her gown. Her hair hung in dripping ringlets as she fixed the penannular to the shoulder. She flapped her wings to dry them and her young owl watcher, Pallus, flapped his in response from where he perched on a gold stand next to her bench. Pallus opened his beak wide and she extended her arm to him. The owl eagerly climbed to her shoulder.

Samuel stared into the field, still angry.

"Either way, it will be the last time," Samuel said.

That was true. They couldn't do this again, especially if it only helped to further the wound in Dominic's atman. They had to find other means to strengthen him against the shadow, and that meant barring him from exposure. Maiel shoved her sandals on and then joined him, taking his hand into hers. He stood just inches higher than her elbow.

Amba and son walked into the field. Pallus groomed her wet hair, while she waited for Samuel to speak his mind again. Instead, the boy held his tongue. He had said all he needed to say. He didn't want her to go, and that was impossible. They both knew that.

"I don't want to go," he said as they reached the edge of the field.

Maiel released his hand and faced him. She sighed.

"I want to stay here and watch over you."

Maiel's hair wound seemingly of its own volition into an ornate braid as she crouched down to look into his face. Still content upon her shoulder, Pallus mirrored the expression from his white heart-shaped feathers. Grasping his arms, Maiel peered deep into her son's eyes.

"You'll go at your appointed time, because it's your duty—to me, to your janya, but especially to yourself."

"What can I possibly learn from watching him disappoint you?"

"There's no guarantee that he will. You're just angry with him, like every young engel is with their janya."

"Did Pitr Joel and Zacharius hate jyoti?"