Chapter 37 - Witch Hagnar

Chapter Thirty-seven

Witch Hagnar

It's the afternoon. All the morning chores and the school lessons have been completed. Several weeks have passed since the Halloween incident. Sam, Pennie, and I have been given permission to lighten our responsibilities for the rest of the day, and we've decided to take advantage of it.

It had been raining hard all morning, and more storms were expected for the afternoon. That was good news for me. As long as I took the potion each day, concocted by Grandma Lil, and the sun was not high in the sky, I could tolerate the daylight.

Alec asked me out on a date for this evening while we were feeding the horses. I accepted and we've decided to go to Checker's Nook.

But this afternoon, Sam, Pennie, and I are headed to Lucy's Library for an afternoon of fun with the younger witches and wizards of Magic Hollow. All teenage students attending Magic Hollow School were required to volunteer at least once at the library for Tuesday's story time and activities, and though I was homeschooled, I had to meet the criteria of The Magical Hollow School.

Children enjoyed listening to Mrs. Lucy's wonderful books. During each parable, the kids watched a magical performance she provided with her wand, adding life to its characters.

Children from Magic Hollow looked forward to the stories read each week, and many flocked in to hear her.

Everyone sat on a large, round rug centered in the middle of the library in front of Mrs. Lucy. Mrs. Lucy took a seat in her well-known, oversized rocking chair. As she began her tale, their eyes fixated on the story unfolding before them.

As the story began, my eyes caught a glimpse of movement toward the back of the library. "Oh no," I said in a low voice, "I bet Seth is hiding again." I glanced over the children and didn't see him. Seth often slipped away from the group and hid.

I adjusted the small backpack I had brought with me on my shoulder. I squeezed past Sam and Pennie, heading toward the back of the library to see if Seth had hidden in one of the back rooms.

I cautiously glanced around several of the bookshelves, beginning to feel uncertain if I had seen anything. Maybe Seth hadn't even come today. To my left, a light appeared from a room at the end of a narrow hallway. I guardedly walked toward the door, opening it. I didn't find Seth. I found...Witch Hagnar.

She floated three inches above the ground, facing me only a few feet away. Her ghostly figure was haunting, her eye-sockets dark and bloody.

"I know who you are," I said in a nervous voice. "You're Witch Hagnar."

She said not a word. She had no eyes, but her soul penetrated mine, causing me uneasiness. Something told me no harm would come to me. At that moment, she raised her arm, pointing to a stack of books strewn chaotically on a large desk. I gazed at her, confusion wrinkling my brows.

The old hag rebound her arm, forcing it out again, pointing firmly.

"You want me to look through the books on the desk?"

Hagnar continued floating in front of me, bobbing slightly up and down, pointing toward the scattered books.

I hesitated, and then submissively walked over to where the books lay, not knowing what my purpose was for the witch. I surfed through the pile. "It's a bunch of dusty, old books," I said, turning my head and looking at Hagnar.

Still she pointed.

I felt the determination emanating from her to make me understand, and I sensed it was for a good reason. So, I turned to search again. "Okay, I don't understand, but it must be important."