Chapter 15 - Those Eyes

Chapter Fifteen

Those Eyes

"Nettie, go tell everyone to close-up and shut-down. We'll call you as soon as we know anything," Grandma Lil said.

Miss Nettie agreed, turned, and headed out the back door.

As we rushed out the door, making our way across the brick walkways, I stumbled and fell, hitting the bricks rather hard with my head. "Oh gosh, bricks hurt! My head's having a hard day," I said, now not only scared but totally embarrassed.

As I looked up, a tanned hand was extended in front of my face.

"I'm so sorry," the person said connected to the hand. "Here, please, let me help you up."

Oh my, this is not Grandma.

A bright light glared in my eyes as I looked up. With my keen senses, I knew the golden color of my eyes was spreading out, covering the emerald color, becoming more vivid in the brightness of the light. As I squinted at the person, my eyes dilated focusing on a—whoa—a guy! A magnificent looking guy!

I shook my head. Pull yourself together. This was not the time to lose it.

I extended my hand, trying to stay calm. He easily pulled me up, standing me directly in front of him, so close our noses almost touched. I was so embarrassed...and he was so good-looking. And he smelled so good.

I breathed in deeply. That's when I saw what had shimmered, causing a reaction to my eyes. An exquisite eagle pendent hung around his neck. The eagle was positioned in flight, holding an eagle feather in his talons.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"You're welcome, Skyla."

"Your eyes," I whispered, "your eyes are beautiful. What are you?" I asked, feeling as if we were the only two standing in the middle of Magic Hollow.

"I am what you are, Skyla. And you look as if you've seen a ghost. Come and sit over here on the bench. I think the bump on your head has unsettled you," he said calmly. "You need a moment to rest."

I sat on the bench still staring at him. I told myself to stop it. I made myself pry my eyes from him. The new stirring I felt inside was strong. As I looked down, averting my gaze, I noticed a double wrapped bracelet on his wrist.

"I'm...fine now," I stammered. When I realized I still held his hands, I quickly released his grasp. "Really, I'm good. You know my name. How do you know my name?"

"Skyla, this is the world of magic, remember? And this is a small town where everybody knows everybody else's business," he said, smiling jokingly.

"Ha ha, you're enjoying seeing me this way, aren't you? By the way, may I ask your name?"

"My name is Alec Stone. I live with Jo Elkins."

"Chief Jo?"

"Yes, Chief Jo," he replied with another one of his handsome smiles. "You need to have that bump checked," he said, touching my forehead.

"But, he hasn't mentioned you," I said, not paying attention to the bump.

"I've been away for a couple of weeks and just returned yesterday. My mother and Uncle Jo are brother and sister. My mother remarried and it worked out better for me to live with Uncle Jo."

"I see. I know I'm changing the subject, but the bracelet you have on your arm, does it have meaning?" I asked, drawn to everything about him.

Alec touched the bracelet, moving it around as he answered. "Yes, it does. I'm part Indian. My mother is Indian, and my father was American. You see, the Indians view the wolf as a protective spirit and a great hunter." He looked into my eyes. "The wolf has only one female mate his entire lifespan. He views his pack as the center of his universe as humans do." He again maneuvered and looked at the bracelet. "The bracelet is double looped, so one day when I find my mate," he paused, "or shall I say the young lady for me," he again looked directly into my eyes, "I'll take one loop off and give it to her—meaning I have found my soul mate."

I again stared at him as he spoke, wringing in every syllable he uttered. I think I drooled when he said soul mate. "Uh—and the necklace, does it also have a purpose?"

"Ah, the necklace, yes, it has meaning as well. The eagle is the master of the skies; he's the watcher between the Creator and earth. Since he stays in the high skies, he is closest to the Creator. The Creator and the past Grandfathers made the eagle the messenger between the worlds." He held the fake feather dangling from the necklace. "When an Indian holds a true eagle's feather, the Creator above quickly takes notice. When an Indian is given an eagle feather, he is being given the highest love and honor. However, an Indian cannot wear the feather until he has done an act of bravery. I wear them to honor my Grandfather. He was a Chief and a great warrior."

Alec intrigued me. He seemed mature for his age, different from any boy I knew from my old school. As we talked, I noticed several fresh scares on his tanned arm, one peeking through his shirt on his chest, and one neatly stitched scar on his neck. It certainly didn't affect the way he looked.

Why was I acting like this? I felt drawn to him, as if magnets of a great strength were drawing us together.

Gently, and getting braver, I touched the scar on his neck, instantly feeling an even stronger pull and closeness to him. I didn't want to let go of this guy. Then, abruptly, a pain hit my stomach, causing my eyes to close. Images appeared of misty clouds and...vampires.

***

In my vision, I can see their sneering teeth. I can smell the stench floating from them. One is talking. He seems to be the leader. The others are chanting and jumping in a circle. I am trying to get a closer look, but one of them is in the way. I somehow know who is in the middle of their evil dance. I am able to get closer. There are many of them. I peer around and shout in horror, "No, stop!"

***

"Skyla, Skyla dear," Grandpa Red said sweetly, calling my name.

Briefly, I opened my eyes and saw that Grandpa had knelt down beside me. I watched him as he calmly looked over at Alec. "She has fallen asleep because her body hasn't completely made the change. She'll learn to understand her visions better, and she will improve managing the gift, but it will take time."

Grandpa Red and Alec sat with me until I woke up completely. They then helped me sit up. Grandpa began softly explaining to me what I was going through when the dreams happened. He told me they were visions. He began advising me how to deal with them better, how to interpret them, and how to control them.

Looking at Grandpa Red, I asked, "All this time, these have been visions?"

"Yes, Skyla. And if you'll stay calm and focused, you can better understand them and know what they're telling you. Do you remember what you saw?"

My dizziness began to diminish. "I saw what happened to Alec." I then looked into Alec's eyes. "You are part of what I am. They went after you...and you lived. Their intention was to kill you. But it wasn't the Deathstalkers," I said, pausing to look at Grandpa Red. A chill ran up my spine. "The Deathstalkers are building an army, Grandpa. They're vampires from all over the world. They are following the Deathstalkers with the promise to also gain from my powers. They planned the attack. They are wanting it known that they are the followers of the Deathstalkers. Alec just happened to be their target to make their point."

Grandma Lil trotted up behind us, breathing in and out heavily, speaking in a panicked voice. "Red, we've got to get Skyla home. It's the Deathstalkers. The Magical Council has reported they're on the move again and getting close."

At that precise moment, the alarms sounded in Magic Hollow.

(Alec Stone!  I'd love some comments and votes!)