Chapter 7

"P-P-Parrick?" I asked? He gave a cute, geeky half smile. Yep. That was him alright. I quickly got out of the bed and jumped into his arms.

I know I never mentioned my brother before, but its true. After our parents died (well, brutally murdered by vamps) a year ago, when I was just fifteen, Patrick took it pretty badly, even though he was five years older than me. He dealt with all the financial stuff and bought me an apartment and that was the last time I'd seen him. I guessed I looked a little too much like our mom that it was too much for him to handle. The only person I had at the time was Ashley, my best friend, and she practically lives with me anyway.

Patrick hugged me back, whispering "I'm so sorry" in my ear and I started to cry on his shoulder and I replied "its okay2 through the tears. We stayed like that for ages before I remembered the other person in the room. I looked up and turned around to face him, finding him staring at me.

"who are you?" I said rather rudely, I know. Well what did you expect? He was utterly gorgeous! I would either be rude or start muttering again. And that really wasn't an option.

Well, it turns out that he did the muttering for me. "uh-I...errm, I..." Patrick started to laugh, cutting him off. "Brooke, Pete. Pete, Brooke." Patrick said, introducing us. I held my hand out for Pete to shake. He looked at me for a second before taking it.

When he dropped my hand, I turned to Patrick, asking "what happened?" He sighed in response before muttering "You'd better sit down first."

I walked back over to the bed, sitting crossed-legged in the middle. The two of them sat down too, facing me.

"what was the last thing you remember?" Patrick asked. "umm" I said, thinking. "well, I was going on a date with a guy from my building. He told me to meet me in the alley behind it and then we would go for something to eat. He took ages to show up, and when he did, he..." and then I started to cry again. The reality of it all was just too much.

Patrick pulled me into a tight hug again, comforting me. "what happened after he bit me?" I whispered.

"Pete heard you scream. We were out at the time, hunting, and we found you. God, there were so many vamps there, we thought we wouldn't be able to take them all but.." "Wait a second..." I cut him off. "you were out HUNTING? For VAMPIRES? THE SAME BLOOD-SUCKING CREATURES WHO KILLED OUR PARENTS?" I screeched.

"Brookie, calm down! We're trained slayers! Its not like we're suicidal or anything. we just really want to kill some vampire ass!"

"Yeah well I'm trained too! And you don't think I want revenge as well? But it doesn't make me want to casually go out, trying to kill vamps on a Friday night!" I screeched again! "Yeah well if we weren't doing just that, you would probably be dead right now!" I shot back in defence. That shut me up. "I'm sorry" I whispered. "its okay" He whispered back.

"Shit!" I screeched, fumbling around for my purse. "What time is it?" I shouted at the two of them.

"errr.." Patrick mumbled while looking at his watch. "just gone eleven. Why?"

"urrgh!" I moaned again. "Ashley's still at my apartment!" I finally found my phone, sighing, and sent her a quick text saying that I was okay and I would be back very soon. She text back within seconds saying she was very relieved and that I better back back in ten or she'd call the police. I realised I had multiple texts and missed calls from her all night and morning.

"wait... Ashley?" Pete said, talking for the first time since I'd met him. "your boyfriend Ashley?" he asked, nervously.

Patrick and I looked from him, to each other, and burst out laughing.

"what?" mumbled Pete, all embarrassed.

"no Pete, her best friend" said Patrick. "don't worry. You still got a chance with her!" he said, making ME blush this time, which made him laugh even more

"okay okay." I said. "that's enough laughter for one day." Pete looked relieved. Patrick looked upset.

"now will someone please take me home?" I asked.

"I will." Pete quickly said. "thanks" I said to him.

"wait, Brooke." said Patrick. "what, patticakes?" I replied. He smiled at my childhood nickname for him. "we will see each other again soon, right?"he asked. "of course." I said. I'm not the one that left their little sister alone to mourn and didn't even contact her." I said. He gave me a guilty smile as I pulled him into a hug. "see you soon." I whispered and pulled away.

I looked over at Pete. He walked over to the door, gesturing for me to follow. He led me to his car.