Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

“Morning.” Landon said nonchalantly.

“What are you doing here?” Adrian stepped forward.

“Picking Travis up. I thought that part was rather obvious.” He said with a smug smile. “I see you have a passenger for yourself. Now that we’re all settle, we’d better get going. Wouldn’t want to be late. Race you there?”

“No.” Travis and I both said at the same time. “We’ll drive at a normal speed. It wouldn’t look good if you got pulled over. You too, Adrian.”

“Jeez, a person can tell you’re related. Disadvantages of dating a Dawn. They’re always so careful.” Adrian joked. The only reason I didn’t slap him was because it wasn’t the first time he joked about us being ‘careful’.

“Uh, we’re not, there’s nothing, it’s not like that.” Travis stammered.

“What Travis is trying to say is, we’re not together. Not for a lack of trying on my part.” Landon said stepping in. “But I’m close to breaking that barrier of yours, aren’t I babe?”

Travis blushed and looked down at his shoes. “We should go.”

We all agreed and went to our respective rides. I was thankful that Adrian had tried to do anything. He also chose not to talk about Travis and Landon on the way to school, opting to annoy me about dates and the like.

The ride was okay, it was the arriving at school part that was sending shivers down my side. As Adrian pulled into his parking spot I saw Mary Alice standing outside with her group of friends, waiting for him. I slid down the seat a bit and covered my face with my hands.

“Hey, don’t do that. She can’t do anything to you.” Adrian said removing my hands from my face. “You’re with me. You’re basically untouchable.”

“You’re popular and so is she. Whether we’re together or not, she can still get to me. she knows everyone.” I said softly.

“She wouldn’t dare.” He glared in her direction. “I’ll walk you to class okay?”

I nodded and my eyes widened when he reached over and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I reached up to my cheek where I could still feel the kiss lingering.

We got out of the car and I heard collective gasps from all around. “Already replaced Mary Alice, I see. Wow, and it only took you the weekend.” One of her friends said.

“I didn’t replace her. I just found someone who I’d rather spend my time with, who wouldn’t waste it.” Adrian said putting an arm around my waist.

We started walking towards the doors and people gave way to us as we passed them. I felt someone grab my arm before I was pulled back, out of Adrian’s grip.

“You’re going to pay for this, home wrecker. You’ll see.” Mary Alice whispered.

I gulped at her words. Adrian pulled me back to his side. “Leave her alone. What did she tell you?”

“Nothing weird.” I said quickly. “It’s understandable. They all think I stole you from her.”

“You kind of did.” he joked.

“What?”

“I’m just kidding Evelyn. Live a little.” He winked at me and we continued to walk to my class.

The words Mary Alice whispered in my ear were still loud and vivid as if she’d been saying it this entire time. Was she threatening me? She couldn’t have. I didn’t want to get involved in their spat. Unfortunately, right now, I was the main course.