Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

“You will? That’s great.” My grin got bigger. “We’ll start off without something small; I’ll pick you up for school tomorrow.”

“That’s hardly small.” I joked.

“I know. It’s pretty late though. I should let you get to bed.” I silently agreed with him. “Good night Evelyn. See you at 7:30 tomorrow morning.”

“Good night Adrian.” I clicked the phone off and lay back down on my bed. Eleanor was already fast asleep. I was surprised that she hadn’t woken up in the middle of the phone call.

I let out a contented sigh and put my phone on the nightstand before switching off my night light. I closed my eyes and willed myself to sleep. Tomorrow would definitely be a great day.

I was packing the last of my books into my bag when I heard a car honking outside. I ran to the foyer and saw Travis looking out the window. That was one thing that I forgot to tell him; his best friend was picking me up for school.

“Crap! I forgot to tell Adrian not to pick me up today.” He said as he moved to open the door.

“Travis, he’s not here to pick you up.” I said softly.

“What?” he asked as he pulled the door open.

“Hey Travis.” Adrian said smiling as he entered the house. “Evelyn, are you ready to go?” I couldn’t do anything else but nod.

“What are you talking about? She always walks to school.” Travis narrowed his eyes at us. “Adrian, would you care to explain this to me.”

“Certainly.” I couldn’t believe that the fool still had that stupid smile on his face. “After Mary Alice and I broke up I found out that Evelyn over here likes me and I thought that we’d be good together.”

“That’s it?” my eyes widened in surprise. “So you just thought that you could use my little sister for a fling? Is this your way of trying to make Mary Alice jealous?”

“Uh, that came out wrong” Adrian said before clearing his throat and rubbing his hand nervously at the back of his neck. “What I meant to say was that I like your sister and I hope that things between us would work.”

“I think you’re forgetting one important detail.” Travis said causing me to look at him since I was watching Adrian the entire time. “She’s sixteen, and who gave you permission to date her?”

“Excuse me?” I asked with my hands on my hips.

“I needed to ask for your permission?”

“No. Travis, you know Adrian well enough to know that he’s a good guy. Stop acting like my dad and act like a supportive brother.” I moved to stand next to Adrian.

“So this is happening huh?” I nodded. “Well then, if you’re sure. And Adrian, I don’t need to tell you what I’ll do to you if you hurt her, right?”

“You’ll chop my dick off while I’m still alive and feed it to a dog and let me live long enough just to see the situation go down.” Adrian said firmly. I could hear the shudder in his voice. I cringed myself.

“So we’re in agreement.” We were alerted to another honk coming from outside.

I turned my head and saw Landon’s black sports car parked in front of our house. I looked at Travis with a smirk on my face.

“I think the wrong person was given a lecture on which people they could and couldn’t pick up.” Adrian said. “What the hell, Travis?”

Travis just shrugged and we all walked outside. I smiled at Landon when he waved at me and at the same time prayed to God that Adrian wouldn’t cause any trouble.