Out

"We got out, finally," an exhausted Embry exclaims.
"What now?" Eve asks.
"I didn't exactly think that part through, sorry," Reagan apologizes.
What's in front of them is a desolate area, a lawn that is a light shade of tan. There's a pathway of gravel and a sort of latch that would have to be unlocked to get to the stairs into the building. There's a car, a white van with tinted black windows.
"Well then what the fuck was the point of this?" Embry asks.
*******

It was late at night when they snuck out. Reagan recalled the time they ran away, it was comparable. They were in an uncomfortable situation that they wanted, and needed, to escape. Again.
It was simpler this time. Mr. Fletch did not leave the doors locked, he just had a passcode for them. Eve was told the pass codes before, so she could easily help them escape.
The hallways were dark. It was eerie to watch the bodies floating in the glass tanks. The water was a shade of sky blue. The bodies could be peaceful if they weren't so mangled or hurt.
"Could we help them?" Reagan asked.
"We can't do much. They're mostly dead." Eve answered.
There was a tank with a body missing. It seemed that there was a door from the back that would open, if the person would be able to escape.
Dixie had been following them down the hallway and stopped to stare at the tank. This was hers, of course. She turned away from the tank and walked past. It was not worth it to tell the others that that had been her's.
"You could pull a plug. It's at the machine that looks like a giant cash register. The bodies would drop and the water would fall from the back," Dixie instructed.
Nobody responded, but there was a silent agreement that this is what they would do.
"Dixie? Who is Gran anyways," Eve asked.
"She's a second in command. She's been trying to stop the experiments for a while," Dixie answered.
The rest of the way nobody spoke. Reagan and Embry shared worried glances. Was there anything outside of there that they had?
They reached the end of the hallway and pulled the plug. All of the lights in the tanks turned off at once. They hoped this wouldn't cause any alarm. The machine moved out of their way immediately, and they walked forward towards the exit.
******

"Is there anything out here for you?" Embry asked Reagan.
"Money, medical care, hormones, food. Maybe my own apartment if I can afford one. So no. Not really. There's nobody out here for me," Reagan sighed.
Embry reached for Reagan's hand, "I'm out here for you."
Reagan smiled. Embry pointed to everyone one by one.
"Okay, enough of that can anyone here actually drive? Cause I sure as hell can't,". Embry exclaimed.
Eve nodded and laughed.
*****
The drive to Eve's coffee shop took longer than expected. Everyone's legs were sore, and Dixie and Embry had fallen asleep. Dixie's legs seemed to take up almost the whole front back seat as Embry was curled up in a ball in the back.
"What are we supposed to do?" Reagan asks.
"Go somewhere that feels like home."