Chapter 24 - Endangered Life

Start from the beginning

"I was never laughing." He said, his smile growing larger.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" I exclaim in shock. What the heck was wrong with him? "You're life is on the line here! Like hello!"

"So." He said shrugging his shoulders.

"So you need to do something about it!" I exclaim in surprise at his nonchalance towards his life.

"Isabella, I have already accepted my fate. And you should be happy, shouldn't you? You and all the other humans get to live in peace once I'm gone. I can't hurt anyone when I'm dead." He said shrugging, causing me to just gape at him.

"So you're just going to sit here and do nothing about it?" I ask.

"I'm just going to sit here, relax and enjoy the parts of my life that are great at the moment." He says, leaning back against the headboard.

"You're insane! You are officially insane!" I exclaim, not being able to comprehend this at all. Honestly, what was wrong with him? Was he just going to give up, this easily? He couldn't possibly give up that fast right? "You know what? If you're not going to do anything about it, then I am!" I say.

"Um, no you are not! As long as I'm alive, I still have power over you and I will let you do no such thing. You are not allowed to!" He sternly states, looking me straight in my eyes, making sure I fully understand.

I wrap my arms around his neck, tilting my head slightly as I stare up at him. "Well, you see my sweet little King, if you think back to all the times you've ordered me to do something, you'd know that I never listen to anything you tell me to do." I smirk up at him, before I climb off of him and turn around to leave when he suddenly grabs onto my wrist stopping me.

"You are not doing anything!" He growls out in anger.

I turn around and giving him the fiercest look I can manage. "Freaking, watch me!" I exclaim before pulling my wrist out of his hand and leaving the room.

*******

I was back at the library, looking through books and magazines, searching through hundreds and hundreds of articles, hoping to find something useful. But there was absolutely nothing. I was so annoyed. I wanted to rip every single book that didn't contain the information I needed, to shreds because of how frustrated I felt.

I didn't even know why I was wasting my time and trying so hard in saving Dimitri. He's right. I should be happy that he's eventually going to die. I should be happy that earth is finally going to get the peace it deserves. But I'm not happy. It's like all my goals have completely changed from the very beginning.

Why am I putting all my energy into this? Why? I need a book on this too. I need answers.

I buried my face in my hands, trying to contemplate why I so strongly wanted to help Dimitri. He's ruined so many people's lives. He's hurt so many people. He's cruelly tortured and killed people. Yet I want to believe he's not as bad as he seems. And that he deserves to be helped.

But I don't know how to help him. How am I supposed to help him if he won't tell me what happens to him and how he can prevent it. It's annoying how he doesn't even want to help himself when he knows he can. And his excuse is so stupid. What's so important that he's willing to not help himself?

Honestly, this all was giving me a headache, especially since I got no sleep last night and because of how confused I was about everything going on.

Devon showed up in the library soon. He smiled when he saw me. "Hey." He said. "Whatcha up to?" He asked.

"I don't know. I'm looking for stuff that I can't seem to find. And I'm just so confused about everything!" I complained.

Devon wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me towards him in a side hug. "Can I ask you something?" He asked and I nodded my head.

"Why do you care so much about helping Dimitri? I'm really surprised actually. I mean, I know you're a nice and kind person, but to help someone who murders your kind. How could you want to help someone like that so much that you spend hours and hours in the library, hoping to find something useful?" Devon asked curiously.

"I don't know!" I moan in frustration. "I just want to help him. I have this urge to do so. And I honestly feel like there's more to him than he cares to show. I feel like he isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. I can always see so much sadness and loneliness buried deep in his eyes."

"You're right about that Isabella. Dimitri actually is an amazing person and he really isn't as cruel as everyone thinks he is. He just has a lot going on for him. He's had a lot going on ever since he was a child. And there are many circumstances where he doesn't have the choice to do what he wants. He's trapped between doing what's right and what's wrong. Many times he's tried to do the right thing, but has failed miserably. And it's not his fault at all that he's failed. He honestly tries really hard. But things just don't ever go right for him. It's like he was doomed to live the horrible life he does. He's lived more than two centuries this way. And two centuries later, he's trying to do the right thing again but failing miserably as usual. It's the same thing over and over again. In my opinion, I think Dimitri's more tortured than all the humans he's tortured and killed. He suffers more than anyone I've ever met." Devon said causing me to feel so much more terrible for Dimitri.

I don't exactly know what it is that happens to Dimitri or anything of the sort. But from what Devon just told me, whatever it is, it seems absolutely horrible. I can't even begin to imagine what it is he goes through everyday and the struggles he faces.

It's definitely official now. I am going to do whatever I can to help Dimitri. And Esther did say that if I wanted to help humans, that I needed to save Dimitri first to accomplish  that. So that was that. I was helping him and I don't care how much he tries to stop me. I'm still going to help him.