Chapter 26

THREE MONTHS EARLIER

"Come on you can do it!" Adam was lying on his stomach in front of Nicholas, "Da-Da" he said, "I know you can say it Nicky"

Nicholas smiled at him, the smile revealing two teeth on the bottom his little hands clapping happily, though he remained silent. "Close enough pal, daddy will take the smile"

"I swear he said it Adam, he repeated it a few times this morning" she told him as she folded the laundry, "it figures he'd say your name first" she laughed, "he really wants to get moving"

Adam picked him up, "I'm thinking once he starts moving we are in for it, he's gonna be a wild man" he lifted him over his shoulder, "how are your folks? They must be excited for their trip"

She sighed, not entirely comfortable with her parents going on a cross country trip in an RV, "they are, my father has been watching YouTube videos on RVs and how to take care of them" she put the basket on the floor, "I'm not crazy about this trip Adam, my dad thinks he's still thirty years old"

Adam laughed, "Kim he's in excellent shape and he's a smart man, don't worry so much" Nicky trying to squirm out of Adam's arms, "when do they leave?"

"First thing in the morning, they are coming by in a little while to say good bye" she told him, she was dreading it, "I wish I could convince them to cancel"

Adam put Nicky on the floor and handed him some blocks, "Baby, you need to relax. Your parents deserve this, it's a trip of a lifetime. They'll be back before you know it" he kissed her.

"Where's grandma's little man?" Deborah asked as Adam let her and Mike in, "hey Adam" she gave him a quick hug.

"Good to see you guys, Kim's out back with Nicholas. He loves the swing you bought him" he told them, "How's the beast, Mike?"

"She's good" he smiled, talking about the RV, "for something so big it's really easy to drive, once we get back from this trip we will have to do Disney or something"

"Uh, I think I'll pass on Disney, Nick ain't ready for that yet" he led them out back.

"Hey Princess!" Mike hugged Kim, "I see my grandson is enjoying that swing"

"He loves it" Kim told him, "any chance I can convince you to cancel the trip?"

He jammed his hands in his pockets, "Not this again sweetie, just trust me okay?"

"Now Kim, that's enough. We aren't as old as you think you know!" Deborah teased her.

"Yea, and you aren't as young as you think" she told them lifting Nicholas from the swing, he quickly protested, "All done Nicholas" she told him.

"Are you mad?" Deborah asked her, "Seriously Kim you're being a bit ridiculous"

Adam knew it was coming, the tears she had been fighting the last few hours, "am I mom?" She asked, "I think Nicholas is ready for bed"

"Come on Kim" Adam pleaded with her, "don't be like that" he reached for her hand.

"Don't Adam" she told him, "Nicky give grandma and grandpa a kiss" she told him and handed him to her parents, "alright, bye" she said as she took him back from her mom, "be careful" she said before going inside.

Adam groaned, "I'm sorry about that she's really worried" he told his in laws "you know how she gets sometimes"

They smiled, "we do, listen we better get going We will try and call from the road at least once a day." Deborah told him, "take care of them Adam, and make sure you email us pictures of Nicholas"