Chapter 14

"You told him?" Adam asked as they sat down to eat, "what did he say?" he was relieved she was moving back to patrol, no job was safe but Intelligence was a completely different animal.

Kim pushed the food around on her plate, "he understood, Adam I feel like shit" she admitted, it was like she wasn't capable and couldn't hack it.

"Why?"

"I wanted it so badly, and then I can't handle it. What does that say about me?"

He grabbed her hand, "it says you know what you want, and you aren't afraid to speak up for yourself" he pushed his plate to the side, "nothing wrong with working patrol, my dad's done it for years Kim"

She shrugged her shoulders, "I guess, Sean's happy though he's new partner is a joke" she gave him a half hearted smile, "I can only imagine what everyone is going to say"

"Nothing" he told her, "they'll understand"

"Hey Hank?" Erin knocked on his door, "you think we could talk?"

"What's up? Sick of the Feds already?" He smirked, he caught the look on her face, "what's wrong?" He closed the door behind her.

"My spot still open?" She sat in the chair, "I made a mistake, this is where I'm supposed to be"

"Matter of fact, it's just opened up. Burgess had it for a few months, bit it wasn't for her" he explained, "she went back to patrol, we'd love to have you back"

She immediately felt relieved, "thank you"

Six Months Later

"So, we finally catch up with the guy and I kid you not he shits his pants" Jay tells them, "it was fucking nasty, I swear I thought Ruzek was gonna puke" he laughed as he took a swig of his beer.

"Jay, that story is disgusting. I don't know why you insist on telling it" Erin laughed her arm draped around his neck, "we've all heard it before"

"It's funny Erin, that's why" he told her, "plus, Roman hasn't heard it before, have you?" He asked pointing at Sean.

"Nope, and I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing it" he laughed "where are Ruzek and Burgess anyway?"

"Knowing those two, probably in bed" Jay laughed.

"I spoke to Kim a little while ago, they should be here soon" Erin told Sean, "you must be glad to have her back, I heard you ended up with Stratmoore as your partner for awhile"

Sean groaned, "Please don't remind me, I don't know how that fatty is still a cop. I swear all he did was eat, it was the worst three months of my life"

"Are you ready yet?" Kim asked him, "they expected us at Molly's an hour ago, what is going on?" She asked him, the door to the bathroom closed. She had told him she would pick him up at seven and she couldn't understand why he wasn't ready yet.

Adam sat on the counter in his bathroom the small box in his hand, he was a nervous wreck. "She's gonna say yes" he whispered to himself. He'd been carrying the ring around for weeks now and something always kept him from asking her. His father had called him out on it and told him he needed to tell Kim everything and that was what was worrying him.

He used the door that led to his bedroom and put the box back in the safe, he wasn't ready to let Kim know about the skeletons in his closet. He loved Kim with all he had and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, but once she knew all the  details would she still want to be with him?

"I'm sorry Darlin', you ready?" He asked as he made his way into the living room.

"I've been ready for an hour" she smiled, taking his hand in hers, "everyone is waiting"

"Let's go" he followed her to the car, "I love you"

She glanced at him as she drove, "I love you too" his demeanor set her on edge, he seemed distracted.