Chapter 31

[Luke's POV]

The final bell had rang and Calum and I walked out of the music room. I didn't get much more written for the song and instead just tinkered around with the keyboard to figure out the tempo and whatnot, which I still hadn't. For me, I have to be completely alone in order to write a song and compose music. The only time I can do that with people around is when I'm extremely comfortable. There's only four people in that circle and that's my family. 

I tried my best to get away from Calum because I didn't want Ashton to think that I was lying to him about us not being friends because I really wasn't. The only reason I would give Calum the time of day was because I wanted to stay on his good side. I knew that he had the power to make my life a living Hell and I really didn't want that added drama. 

"What are you doing tonight?" Calum asked as we both went to our lockers and dialed in our combinations. 

"Probably just hanging out in my room and doing homework," I shrugged, getting the folders I needed and shoved them into my backpack.

"Do you want to come over and play FIFA maybe?" Calum asked. 

"I don't know. My parents have dinner plans with my brothers," I lied. They really didn't. I just wanted to be able to plan my date with Ashton and write the song. 

"Oh, okay. Well, if you can get away, don't hesitate to stop over," he said and then a few members of his posse showed up, which was a cue that our conversation was ended. 

I shut my locker and went out the other way of the locker aisle because Calum's posse had clogged the main entrance. I didn't see Ashton at his locker, which was weird, so I decided to find Michael, who was getting his leather jacket on. 

"Hey, Mikey," I greeted with a smile. 

"Well, greetings, Hemmings. Where is my other best friend? It's weird not to see you attached at the hip," Michael asked. 

"I actually came over to ask you the same thing," I chuckled.

"Oh, really? I'm only good for the location of your damn boyfriend? And to think I just called you my best friend," Michael said, shaking his head. "Fuck that shit."

"Michael, you know I love you just as much as Ashton...just a bit less because, well, you know, he's my boyfriend," I chuckled awkwardly. 

"Yeah, mhm, sure. Save it, asshole," Michael said with a straight face and then he broke out into a fit of hysterics when I most likely looked like I was about to cry. 

"What?" I asked, confused as to what was so funny. 

"You should've seen the look on your face. You actually took me seriously?! Dude, you should know that I'm not a serious guy," Michael laughed. 

"Well, you were pretty convincing," I shrugged, blushing in a bit of embarrassment. 

"You know, acting is one of my better skills," he said, now calm as he brushed the invisible dust off his shoulder to make himself look like he was King Shit. 

"Why aren't you the star in the school play then?" I asked with a smirk, knowing that the play was Wicked and the main characters were two women. 

"Because I have a dick," he said bluntly. "Besides, look at me. I'm not a drama club type of guy. I'm punk and hardcore."

"Well, on that note, Mr. Hardcore, I'm going to go find my boyfriend," I told him, about to turn on my heel. "Was he getting a ride from you?" 

"No. He didn't know if he was going to have to stay after school for some stupid test or something," Michael told me. "He'd be in Correlli's room."